Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Happy Birthday Pop

Friday, May 25, 2012, would have been my dad's 82nd birthday. He's been with Jesus now for over 24 years and it seems just like yesterday that he left this world behind. His last words to his congregation on the Wednesday night before he died were, "If I don't see you again down here, I will see you glory." Less than 12 hours later he was in the arms of Jesus.

On this Memorial Day/Pentecost Sunday weekend we honor both our warriors of our armed services and warriors of the faith. There are some things I learned from my Pop that I will never forget and I would like to share them with you in honor of his memory today. Here are some of the things he taught me:

-Love God in spite of what people say or do to you.

-God will always work things out if you will trust Him.

-The Church of God is not perfect, but love, honor, and protect it's message and heritage.

-Give young preachers the chance to preach that others did or did not give you.

-Pay your tithes.

-Pray for God's direction and then walk in the path He puts before you.

-Respect your elders and those over you in the Lord.

-Love your family and don't wait too late to tell them.

-Whereever the Lord or the church sends you do your very best.

-Don't let things get you down-look up!

-Just remember-the answer is already on the way.

Since there are no birthdays in heaven I'll cherish the ones we had together down here. I just wanted you who read this blog to know my heritage is precious to me. Our denomination is not perfect and it doesn't always treat people fairly. It's man-made and that's the reason why. But there is one man that influenced me beyond all comprehension and he laid down his life for this church because he loved it and believed in what it stood for. I just wanted to say thanks for all that he taught me and look forward to seeing him again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment