Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Church of God General Assembly 2012

Some of my favorite memories as a child were at the General Assembly when we used to meet in Memphis. One of my best times was when dad took us to a Krystal not far from the auditorium after one of the business sessions. I believe they were a nickel apiece back then.

My first GA as a credentialed minister was in Dallas. I was an evangelist then and the SC State Evangelism Department gave Becky and I $450.00 to help us go. That was 40 years ago and Becky and I had just been married 6 months. That was our belated honeymoon! (LOL)

The GA this year is different for me. Becky doesn't like to come anymore because I'm tied up in the business sessions all day and she loves being at home. This will be the 12th assembly since my dad's home-going so he is no longer with me. My son has his own business now and so this is two GA's in a row he has missed. Even my mom didn't get to come this year so I'm the only one from the family here.

However, I'm here to do the business of the church. Just as my grandfather did years ago, just as my dad before me, I hope to keep their heritage alive by being a part of the decision making body. I've had to have surgery the week before the past two Assemblies, but I made the effort to come because even though we are slow to implement change it's important to be a part of the process.

I love the Church of God and hope to have this privilege for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment