Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Being Very Serious (Part 2)

When your earthly journey takes an unexpected turn do you know what to do? The coy answer is to say, "Trust God", but that isn't always as easy as it sounds. It's easy to trust God when things are going your way, but when they take a turn for the worse it's not as easy as you think it is. As a pastor you are prepared to help others that are in need, but when it's you needing the care and not being the caregiver it's a whole different story.

God gives us a choice to make in life in all areas. My doctor gave me a choice as well. I could continue to live the stressful life of a pastor or I could step down and better my chances to live. I've heard people say they wanted to die in the pulpit, but honestly I want to enjoy my wife and my grandchildren as long as I can. So I had to choose the latter. It wasn't easy, but after a 3 day visiting the sick and elderly 501 mile marathon, I had to make that choice and I did.

I can still preach, but I am not able to make a living as a pastor. So things are just a little tight right now. I had to step down 5 years before I intended to. Thank God I had made some temporary preparation 14 years ago to help us in this transition. I encourage every minister to get a long term disability policy when and while you can. You will never know when you will need it. I never expected to have to live off mine until my retirement age, but I'm thankful I have it!

When these curves take place in life you are never fully prepared. You think you are, but you're really not. I told the pastor of one of my former churches recently that I should never had left when I did. I was at a place where I thought we had  reached our peak and couldn't go anywhere else and I really let outside influences persuade me it was time to move. I met and pastored some wonderful people at the next church, but I never should have left where I was at. How many other pastors feel that way? I still believe down deep in my heart if my dad had stayed at one particular church he would have lived a few more years. You see he was always taught as I was that when an appointment came from our superiors it had to be God's will. It was too late when he realized it, because to be honest with you there were three church situations that put him in an early grave.

You say it was God's will to let him die when he did. But I KNOW from personal experience if you love God, love people, and love the church, sometimes God is the last one we get advise or knowledge from. Thankfully, the good people at the Clyde Church of God were so kind to Mom and Dad during the 6 weeks he was there before his passing. I will say the Lord let him be happy one last time pastoring before He welcomed Dad home. It's those good churches that bless pastors who outshine the bad ones full of controlling members and ungodly people who claim to be Christians that give believers such a bad name. Thank God for those churches filled with people who just want to love God, bless their pastor, and see their church grow. They aren't concerned about position or appointment. only advancing the kingdom of God.

Is your church one of those churches?

No comments:

Post a Comment