Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Being Very Serious (Part 19)

My heart goes out to the Graves family at the loss of their 2 year old son Lane, who was killed by the alligator at Disney World on Tuesday night. I know that family did not expect to lose a loved one when they went there. I cringe every time I think about what they must be going thru. They went expecting to have a time of relaxation and instead in one unexpected moment faced devastation. When we lose someone we love in such a tragic fashion it's almost impossible to conceive what the family feels. My prayers are with that family in this time of loss.

The families of the individuals killed and wounded in Orlando over the past weekend have also been in my prayers. Although I don't agree with the LGBT lifestyle nobody deserves to die like that. Think about the loved ones who will be scarred for life because of the hatred and devotion to an extremist belief that one man possessed. We all thought we had to worry about communism growing up, but nobody ever talked about radical Islam and the pain it would cause in the world.

When you least expect it weird things happen. They can happen to you or to me and no matter how close to God you are they rock your world. It takes a brave individual to stand tall when these adversities happen. I remember while pastoring in Union receiving a call at 3 a.m. about an unexpected tragedy. It took years for some of the family members to get over that loss. I also recall times while pastoring that I was affected by the sudden loss of a beloved member. One minute they were here and the next they were gone.

Grief affects us all differently, but some grief seems to be greater than others. I am sure all of the loved one affected by the events I mentioned above will take a long time if ever to deal with their situations. I can only imagine what they are going thru individually and collectively. As pastors we have to learn how to deal with grief in their churches and how to show sympathy in an unexpected event. We have to learn that each situation, although seemingly the same, has to be treated differently per the family. I am not talking about showing preferential treatment, but about dealing with the grief that they are going thru.

My mom has lost all of her siblings, mother and father, and my dad. She has been a trooper thru it all, but even she had to learn how to deal with her grief. She is a survivor having lived longer than all of her family and still kicking. But even she will tell you that it took her awhile to deal with dad's passing. Grief is like a knife that constantly stabs you in the heart and soul and puts a vise grip on you. It's only by prayer and the grace of God that your overcome it.

I said all this to get to this point-in times of an unexpected episode it pays to have a good pastor and a loving church family. Sometimes they are the only ones we can turn to when we need help the most. I said this as a pastor about the importance of a good church filled with loving and caring people. People that will show their concern when you are sick in need, or go thru one of these life changing events. If your church isn't like that then make up your mind to became a person of change. All it takes is one person to show the right attitude and become a difference maker in a time of grief and need in another's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment