Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Being Very Serious (Part 16)

Attitude can change your altitude. You either feel low or high due to your disposition. Some days it seems impossible to smile and then on other days you just feel the spirit of laughter. We do have to be serious at times, but not all the time. God Word tells us that a "merry heart doeth good like a medicine". Have you had any medicine lately?

This world has some very serious problems today. Problems that most common people can't solve because they are too complex and literally above our abilities. That causes a lot of frustration and a real problem to your attitude. You can't understand why people do like they do and why things are so hard to change and it really messes with your mind. I recently talked with a retired coupled who have made it very well financially since retirement until now in their late 70's. Their  income in July 2016 will drop to half of what's be for the past 12 years. One of their retirement funds will be out in July and they have no idea where any other funding is coming in from. But their words to me were, " The Lord will provide!" Their attitude at 77 and 75 wasn't "O Lord, how we gonna make it?" but " We're trusting in an unseen hand!"

David reminded us that he had never seen the righteous forsaken or their seed begging bread. If you are a true child of God what makes you think God will abandon you? He will always show up on time. I remember about 38 years ago our car insurance was due and I did not have the money to pay for it. I had taken a large pay cut to go where God called me to serve so money was tight. Someone called me to their office the very day it was due and gave me the exact amount I needed to pay it. Not a dime more or less, but exactly what I needed. He can do the same for you and I as well today.

It begins with an attitude of gratitude. A spirit of thankfulness and blessing to God for His blessing to you. He never promised you'd be trial-free, wouldn't fight devils, or face dark times personally, but He did say He'd see you through. I have to remind myself of this everyday. The past 10 years have been the darkest of my ministry-5 heart attacks, eight knee surgeries, a stroke, and leaving a church I should have stayed at. There are some days I have questioned God about all of it and some days He seems a million miles away. But it all comes back to attitude. Do I believe God had a purpose in all I've gone through? Did He really forsake me as a lot of people did during those times? Did He lie in His Word and that it only seems to work for some and not for all? I say a 1,000 times "NO" to all those questions. My attitude is that Jesus is just a close as the mention of His name.

If you'll change your attitude and start praising Him even when you're in the pit you'll experience His overcoming joy. Now that's an attitude that will never let you down!

No comments:

Post a Comment