Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, June 6, 2016

Being Very Serious (Part 8)

A good staff always makes or breaks a pastor. I have been fortunate to have some good men and women serve on my church staff during my course of ministry that I love and appreciate. I can only think of one individual who tried to usurp my ministry and cause me a problem during my 45 years of pastoring and I won't even mention a name because God knows what was done. But as the old saying goes: "One bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch."

My very first Youth Pastors were Larry and Cindy Garten. I had others before them, but not one that made the sacrifices they made to assist me with a brand new church and brand new congregation. These two stood by Becky and I through thick and thin and were always there when we needed them the most. They have two beautiful daughters, Hannah and Rebekah (which I got to dedicate when they were little), who are grown and are beautiful as well. Unfortunately, they no longer attend a COG church and we lost a good leadership team when we lost them. They are involved in their present church now in Easley, but Becky and I will always enjoy the years we spent together working with them.

John and Lorrie Tyson were my first team members in Union. To this day if I'm down and John calls me the atmosphere changes and so does my disposition. He can brighten your day with his stories, jokes, and impressions and he is a great preacher as well. Lorrie is one of the greatest singers you will ever hear and she is a walking, singing miracle. I got to dedicate their lovely daughter, Cara Grace, as well when they served with us. She just graduated this year. My how time flies! They were supportive in everyway in our ministry time together and we love them dearly. If you ever get a chance to have this team come pastor you, get them-you'll be glad you did.

Rodney and Tara White also served with us in Union. I had taught Rodney how to play the bass when I worked with my dad at the old Elm Street COG in Gaffney and he was a part of my Junior Choir from Gaffney that were SCCOG Junior Talent winners. Little did I know that he would serve on my staff many years later. His lovely wife, Tara, I had known also for many years while she was growing up on the COG Campground here in SC. They, along with their two sons, Dylan and Dustin, were a great addition to our team. They are now ministering in Ohio at one of our largest COG's and are doing a great job. I miss them here in SC, but I know they have been obedient to God's call.

Bill and Tammy Case served with us at DCOG in Greenville and are still close friends today even though we have both moved on from serving that church. They, like Larry and Cindy, worked full-time jobs and also served our congregation to the best of their ability. Even when Tammy was attacked by cancer they continued to do their work for the Lord. Thankfully God healed Tammy and she is cancer free and daily praising the Lord for what He did in her life. Bill feels the call to the pastorate now and we are praying that God will open the right door for them for their future ministry.
They were a Pastor's friend when we needed them to be, and an example of what one should be.

Lastly, Richie and Brittney Saxon served with us at the LCOG. They came at a time when I needed someone desperately to work with our youth and did a super job. They also have moved on from the LCOG and gone into a new field of labor and I am expecting great things for them, their daughter Harper, and the new baby on the way. Richie is one of the most positive people I have ever met and is an encourager in every way. Not only is he great with children and youth, he has a passion for God and the ministry that I believe will take him to greater works than I can imagine.

I was talking with a couple of minister's the night I finished this blog and we were talking about some great men of the past in the SCCOG that we remembered from our early days of ministry. History did not record their works and most of the new COG people would have no idea who they were today if their names were mentioned. Even some of our most noted COG leaders are a mere after-thought to most of our congregations today. That's why my blogs are important to me. Important enough to recognize those in print who have been a blessing to my ministry as a pastor and are still in the work of the Lord. I say it again and will to my dying day, a staff can make or break you as a pastor. I honor these folks who served faithfully with me and I encourage you who read this blog to cherish those who uphold the hands of your pastor as a staff minister. It's too late to say "Thank You" when they have moved on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment