Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Being Very Serious (Part 24)

Sometimes my wife will look at me with tears in her eyes and say, "I wish it had been me that had the stroke instead of you." She loves me so much and she means it when she says it. I tell her every time, "I'm glad it wasn't you and that I'm still alive." My life is different than it was a year and a half ago, but it's still my life. I am thankful to God that He spared me and allowed me to be with my wife and my family for a few more days (hopefully years). I have learned in all things to be thankful, even though some days are harder than others.

It's was a challenge for me to grow up with a thankful heart. From an early age I was exposed to a culture of complainers, gripers, grumblers, and critics within the church. They complained about the heat or the air, the music being to loud, the sermons being to long, the pastor making to much money, and about everything in general. I had so many friends and families leave church when I was growing up and when I pastored because somebody was unthankful for the blessings of God and expressed themselves negatively in the wrong place at the wrong time. I remember the days of funeral home fans, open windows, no p. a. equipment, slat-back pews, and uncarpeted floors. I wonder did they complain back then that the paper in the fans was too thin or that they had to expend to much energy when they came to church fanning themselves?

Worst of all to others they seemed ungrateful toward God for any of His blessings all the time. It would be hard for me count the number of complaints and criticisms that were spoken about something that had to do with the church during my lifetime. I've often wondered how those who went through lean times and now have received so much can be so unthankful and critical.One of the great indicators of true spirituality is not measured by how many times we go to church, how big our Bibles are, or how long we pray, but it is measured by the level of gratitude that is in our hearts. When we are ungrateful, the heart of God is saddened, the Holy Spirit is grieved, and the joy of the Lord is quenched within us.
-Being thankful sweetens you, but grumbling sours you.

-Being thankful brings sunshine to your countenance, but being ungrateful casts a shadow.

-Being thankful brings a melody to your words, but criticism makes you sound like a clanging cymbal.

-Being thankful keeps your feet on the pathway of celebration, but complaining takes you down the road of despair.
When our hearts are filled with gratefulness we may feel like our thanksgiving is inadequate, but we can be certain that our thanksgiving is always appropriate. It will gladden the heart of God to hear your heartfelt thanks being freely offered to Him each day you live. Don't let those complainers stop you from being thankful and giving praise to the Lord. Do it whether it too hot or too cold. Do it whether the music is too loud or too soft. Do it when you like the pastor or when you don't like the pastor. The only person who suffers from an ungrateful heart is YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment