Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Being Very Serious (Part 7)

There is an old saying that goes like this: "If every church member were just like me, what kind of church would our church be?" A good question that only you can answer. Membership is more than shaking a pastor's hand, or being baptized, or filling out a membership card. Being a good church member means honoring your commitments to the Lord and to the church you have become a part of. Yet how many churches are closing in America today that have dozens of people on their church rolls, but can't pay the bills at the end of the month? I would dare say more than you or I want to acknowledge.

It always irked me as a pastor that people who had not darkened the doors of the churches I pastored in years wanted special attention when someone died, had a baby, or wanted to use the church facilities. They always played the "I'm a member" card like it was the "Get Out Of Jail" card in Monopoly. I'm not talking about those who were infirmed due to sickness or bad health. Most of the time they wanted to be involved and would be faithful if they could be. I'm talking about people who don't live right and have chosen to do so of their own accord or those that just completely ignore the promises they made when they joined their local fellowship. Sadly, if every church organization cleared their membership rolls I would guarantee less than 1/2 are really faithful to their local congregation.

I have a friend who is a UM pastor that pastors 2 churches right now. Before that he was pastoring 3 that ran less than 20 in attendance. All 5 of those churches have over 1,000 members yet only run a little over 100 each Sunday combined. I pastored a church that ran less than a 100 and had almost 700 people on it's membership role. Several people had died and several others no one attending then even knew who they were. Roll keeping is a long forgotten thing when it comes to church membership, but somehow it needs to be emphasized again to get things back in order.

So where have all the members who no longer attend the church they joined gone? Well some of them were members because of the personality in the pulpit and when that personality moved on so did they. Others got hyped up in a revival or special meeting and never really made a commitment like they should to the Lord. Still others I believe joined because they thought it was the best way to assure themselves they were okay in spite of their lifestyle. I'm sure there are even more reasons than I can even think of. Membership of any church should be carefully considered before making a decision to unite with that fellowship because in the end what matters is how you honor what you've committed to that church before the Lord.

Faithful members honor their commitments. They are not swayed by the ebb and flow of personality, hyper-evangelism, or a change in their lifestyle. They hang in there because that's where God called them to be and they love the Lord enough that come hell or high water they will not give in to the enemy. I thank God for every faithful member I ever served. It was their faithfulness that helped me in some small way to touch others for God. I could not have done anything for the Lord without their faithful support and prayers. They were and still are my heroes today.

So ask yourself again that question about what kind of church yours would be if every member was like you. If you answer it positively then believe for blessing, but if you answer it negatively pray for redemption. There's still hope for you yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment