Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Being Very Serious (Part 9)

I mentioned in one of my blogs earlier that this was Youth Camp season and even at 62 Youth Camp is still important to me. All though I have not been able to work YC much in the last 10 years because of my health it has always had a special influence on me.

Dr. Floyd Carey was our Youth Director while I was a camper many years ago. Back in 1969 and 1970 you would say he was well ahead of his time as an innovator in youth ministry. He had a profound influence on my life and many others. At the time our church culture was changing tremendously and he took a lot of flak for some of his innovative ideas, but I will never forget the blessing he was to me as a camper all those years ago. We would always greet Brother Carey with the peace sign and he would do the same. He knew how to relate to us and help us understand the importance of having a relationship with God.

One of my fellow retirees, Garry Harris, was a great Youth Director. We became great friends and I watched our Youth Ministry grow in SC during his administration. He too took a lot of flak for some stuff he really wasn't responsible for but it was a joy to work in his Youth Camps. The Harris Family was really responsible for a lot of our spiritual leaders in our SC churches today. Some of the greatest altar services were during his Youth Camps and I along with others still remember them today.

It was an honor to serve with J. David Stephens as a member of the SCCOG Youth and Christian Education Board from 1994-1998. He was a great mentor and leader of our youth and was a joy to work with. I was delighted to serve with the other members of that board during that time. What great camps we had and what a director he was! He now serves the COG as our Second General Overseer and rightfully so is worthy of that position. I remember sitting with his son, Brent, in Orlando at our GA when Brother Stephens was elected and seeing the excitement on his face when his dad's name was called out. I am very proud to say that I enjoyed working with he and Joyce in SC and believe God has even greater things for them in ministry ahead. Their friendship and the influence they had over Youth Camps in SC will never be forgotten.

It was also an honor to serve with David and Jan Jarvis as a member of their Youth Board as well for 2000-2004. Great leaders, singers, and dear friends. They are just completing their tenure in the state of Alabama this Assembly year and if I'm not mistaken have just started their youth camps. That state will miss them when they are gone because David knows how to do Youth Camp. I'll never forget we were getting ready for Junior Talent at the Campground one year and I was going to run the sound, only when I went to turn things on and check them out all of our sound equipment had been stolen. What a discovery on the eve of the event! However Doctor J handled it well and we were able to have the event without another hitch. They were honored by their Administrative Bishop at their Camp Meeting just a few days ago for their service in Alabama and all I can say is they were well worthy. Good friends and good times-that's how I will remember the Jarvis family.

Gary and Lori Lewis followed the Jarvis family and although I did not serve on his board, I got to work with him at camp one year. He too pushed our youth ministry in SC to even greater heights and was also loved and appreciated by our campground residents. He left from SC to become our Assistant International Youth Director and then became the current International Youth Director whose term ends at the GA. The Lewis family left an imprint on the SCCOG family as well as these others that I have mentioned.

Other great men have served in this capacity and we appreciate all of their efforts. Rob Bailey serves us at this moment, but he will be leaving us at the GA. I believe he has a great chance to become one of our International leaders in July at the GA and with his knowledge of technology and innovation can bring some great things for the future to our International Youth and Discipleship department if elected.

SCCOG Youth Camp always makes a difference in the life of the students and workers who attend. Some of my strongest friendships were formed as a teen in youth camp. I would dare say that at least 1/3 of our COG churches in SC today are pastored by men or women who experienced the call of God on their lives at SCCOG Youth Camp. Even though I don't have the physical ability to work at YC anymore I will always treasure the experience I had as a counselor, recreation worker, and Youth Board member. Some of my greatest memories come from there and I believe will also be planted in those who attend this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment