Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Easter (Part 3)


I wonder if any of us would travel back to the cross to witness the birth of full and complete forgiveness. It would be very difficult and painful, but wouldn't it also be the greatest opportunity a follower of Christ could ever have? To look into His eyes and to hear those words, "Father, forgive them!" Unlike the crowd, we would know that the words were meant for us. Imagine seeing love in action. Imagine seeing God's Son proclaim, through exhausted tears mixed with royal triumph, "It is finished!"

Well, we really don't have to imagine about either of these last two events. We can visit them anytime. In fact we must visit them every da. Why? Because we are nothing if we don't visit the cross, or look upon the empty tomb. Life is empty for us if the cross we can't see, and life's too large a cross to bear if the empty tomb's not there! Whenever I sin, whenever I fail, the cross reminds me of forgiveness past, present and future. Whenever I doubt His love, I look at the cross and see His perfect love already proven, already given. I need to visit the cross each day.

I also need to visit the empty tomb each day as well. Why? To remind me that life has victory that is full and eternal. Some days, victory is hidden beneath a vail of pain or sorrow just as it was that first Easter. But, when I look at the tomb and realize that the very same power that raised Jesus from the dead is at work in me (Ephesians 1:18-20), victory becomes a tangible hook on which to hang my hat. The day-to-day battles may be won or lost, but by visiting the tomb I can't deny that I am, and forever will be, victorious in Christ.

"Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are -- yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."   Hebrews 4:14-16


No comments:

Post a Comment