Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Just Breathe

Just Breathe


2 Timothy 1:3-7 "I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day; Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy; When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also. Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."


Ministry should be releasing, and not strangling. If God is in something you’ve got to relax and let what He wants to happen take place without incessant worrying and constant micromanagement. Three things I wish I had learned earlier in ministry concerning this: 


-Learn to let go a little before you squeeze too tight.  


Take a deep breath and meditate on what God wants to do rather than what you desire to do. Sometimes our thoughts are not His thoughts and our desires are not His desires. Why He does some of the things He does I will never always understand, but if I snuff out someone's dream before it begins, I may be doing more harm than good. Let God use others and don't be afraid. Guide them, mentor them, even correct them if you must, but for His sake allow them to use their gifts for His glory.  


-When the dust settles and you can once again see the forest for the trees, take the next step forward. 


Yes, there are times when it gets a little to personal. Satan uses different vices to catch you unaware in snares that are unexpected. It's in those clouded moments you need to stand still and see the glory of the Lord. Pressing ahead into uncharted areas can lead you into an ungodly perspective or circumstance. Wait until the dust settles before you take your next step forward. His light will pierce the darkness.


-You don’t have to know exactly where you’re going to be headed somewhere great.


Until you've been there you don't know what you'd do in a situation. You can give advice or even show a judgmental attitude, but until someone has lied on you or treated you badly you won't understand. Yet, in every trial there is a victory to come. Sometimes it takes years for vindication, but God will help the righteous to triumph if we wait on Him. People may never forget or forgive, but God does!


Everything in ministry is in perfect order whether you understand it yet or not. It just takes some time to connect all the dots and see what God has in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment