Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, October 8, 2016

When You Dock Your Vessel

I wasn't ready to dock my vessel, but I was told if I wanted to live to see my grandchildren grow I had to retire from pastoring full-time. I never expected in a million years to have a stroke, but I did. I never thought about retiring at 62, but when the doctor says its imperative it changes your thinking.

The saddest part you learn is that when you dock your vessel you have to be willing to unload it. The hardest thing for any pastor worth his salt is to give up a pulpit, separate from a congregation, and learn to be good church member. It's also devastating on your companion, who in my case, for almost 45 years served as a pastor's wife and loved the congregations she served. So as you can see it's still a time of adjustment for both of us even after 9 months.

There are so many people out there who dock their vessels, yet leave their belongings on board. They forget that even in the bad times the Bible says they have a future and a hope. I must admit I have forgotten that a few times. I've had to unload my vessel several times, because some waters were left unstable due to the load that was heavy and taxing in the past. I'm learning that the best way to unload your vessel is to hold on to the good times and expunge the bad. I'm learning that people you helped along the way were worth all the sacrifice as you see them continue on in the faith. I'm also learning God still has a purpose for Becky and I with a new perspective. That's it-I'm still learning-but it didn't begin until I started unloading my vessel.

Being in the safety of the harbor won't do you a bit of good if you leave your belongings on the vessel. I talked with a well known gospel singer a few days ago and he shared some of the same things about this subject in our conversation. He told me that it wasn't about holding on, but his life really changed when he learned to let go. 

So my advice to you today is that when you dock your vessel, unload it. Leaving your stuff on a docked vessel won't do you any good. Get your cargo off and press on. Your vessel will sail again into a different territory guided by the Holy Spirit. Often times it's not what you expected, but your Heavenly Father has a reason for it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment