Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Light

Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

Most people on a journey will leave a light on at home while they travel. They do this so their house will look occupied even when their gone. It makes good sense when you think about it because the light keeps the darkness from prevailing and hiding intruders. The cure for any darkness, doubt, or despair is to let the light shine.

Scientifically the light prevails over depression, fear, gloom, and other attacks against your mind. Light changes your physical and mental outlook and brings optimism instead of pessimism. People that live in darkness live in fear and frustration. They refuse to change their perspectives because of their refusal to accept the benefits of the light.

When sin shrouded the world there was no light bright enough to pierce it. For over 400 years the people lived in darkness and were consumed by it. Their lives were filled with fear, doubt, and sorrow because they heard no fresh word from God. They had lost their way and wondered if they would ever find it again. Then in Bethlehem a light broke forth that shattered the darkness. A prophecy fulfilled that would change the world for all eternity. The birth of a child who would end up being the light of the world-Jesus Christ!

When the Psalmist wrote this passage I don't think he realized the implications it would have in 2016. Our world lives in a spirit of fear. Last week the small community of Townsville, SC faced terror and loss for some unexplained reason. Only the brave actions of a volunteer firefighter saved the community from more tragedy. That spirit of fear is in every walk of life. I've faced it and probably so have you and, but for Jesus, we would be of all men most miserable. Yet......

Jesus is the light of the world today!
John 8:12 "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Jesus is the doorway to salvation today!
John 10:9 "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." 

Jesus is the strength of your life today!
Romans 5:6 "For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly." 

Jesus gives you boldness today!
John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."


The words of that grand old hymn ring even truer today-Jesus breaks every fetter. My chains are gone because of His amazing grace. His light pierced my darkness and brought me my salvation. His strength has carried me through some very difficult places and is still prevailing over the darkness today. I don't have to live in fear because his light has shown me the way to the end of my journey. He is the light that ends the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment