Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Walk A Mile In My Shoes

Joe South sang a song years ago entitled, "Walk A Mile In My Shoes". It basically emphasized the idea of understanding before you made a judgement. We continue today to ignore this truth and make remarks about people and things we don't understand. Righteousness is not regulated by our perception, but by understanding what people are facing today in their daily lives as Christians. Denomination or personal convictions cannot put you in the mindset that you are holier or better than someone who is struggling to spiritually survive. You would know that if you walked a mile in their shoes.

I know that Jesus warned us that there would be those that identified with Him in these perilous times that had no real relationship with Him. He also warned us of doctrines of deceit that would permeate the culture around us. You and I have lived to see these things happen. Yet, He also warned us that our attitude about people could alter our relationship with Him. Too many people are dwelling on other's past, rather than seeing their attempt to change for today. This is dangerous territory for a believer.

I've never smoked, so I despise cigarettes, but I have seen the desperate attempts of someone trying to serve the Lord and break that habit. Years ago, folks would not even allow them to be called Christians because of their tobacco dependency. From what I've been told that's a terrible habit to break and many people struggle with it. Jesus never said it was my responsibility to break people's habits first before He could save them. All I was called to do was lead them to Him and then let Him take care of the rest. He's the one that has the power to break every habit that would create a void in people's relationship with Him. Because I never smoked I don't always understand their struggle to quit-but He does.

It was grace that changed me and mercy that birthed me. I didn't earn it or deserve it, but He freely gave it to me. There are many trials I never had to face because of my upbringing, but everyone didn't walk in my shoes. Some had no church background. Some had habits and addictions. Some were abused and mistreated. Some committed sins and atrocities that scarred them for life. Yet Jesus died for all of them just like He did for me and you. Pointing fingers and rejecting people because of their past and their struggles isn't your job or mine. We are to live and teach by example, not judge and reprimand. Remember, everyone has a skeleton in their closet. Aren't you glad Jesus forgot yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment