Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

When I Get What I Want

The biggest lie on the planet is, "When I get what I want, I will be happy." How many of you feel that way? I've always loved a Ford Mustang and have had the opportunity to own several over my lifetime. Yet, they like every other automobile I've owned, lost their appeal to me as they got older. Even though their value has increased with the years gone by the happiness they brought me was shot-lived.

When Becky, Shane, and I toured Graceland years ago and saw all the memorabillia of Elvis Presley I was stunned. Looking at his costumes, guitars, automobiles, bikes, and other belongings let us see how much wealth he had. Yet, he died very young and as a very lonely man. The King of Rock and Roll had what many would say would make any person happy, but he wasn't. He was always searching for more.

The Bible says the treasures of this world will one day pass away and you can't take it with you. There was a man buried in his Cadillac in New York a few years ago. He said he wanted to spend eternity in luxury. Sadly, if you opened that grave today you'd fine his decomposed body and a rusty hunk of metal. Friend, if you're waiting to get something that you think can make you happy in this life, you need to try Jesus. What He gives lasts for eternity and never fades away. It will bring you joy in this life and blessings in the life to come.

Cars won't do it, neither will houses or lands. Stuff becomes cluttered and you can see that once the new wears off, it's just another thing you've accumulated. Even if it makes you happy for a while, it won't forever. Salvation can change that scenario. It can bring peace in trials, joy in adversity, and hope when all things seem lost. It will never rust, deteriorate, or fall apart. It will be the greatest gift you ever receive.

Don't listen to the lies of now, but focus on what is to come. Enjoy your success, but don't be a slave to things that lose their value. Invest in an eternal plan that brings joy unspeakable and full of glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment