Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Ozark Speak

I spent some time growing up in and around the Ozarks. The Ozark manner of speech dates back to more relaxed times when people just said what they had to and didn't worry about "proper grammar" or "proper pronunciation."

Ozark Speak - English Translation - Proper Ozark Usage.
-Afeared - Afraid - He's afeared of his own shadow.
-A-Fixin - Getting Ready - We're a-fixin to go to town.
-Aim - Intend or Plan - I aim to go to town soon.
-Biggety - Stuck up or Show off - Well aint she biggety lately!
-Chimbley - Chimney - Santa Claus comes down the chimbley.
-Clum - Climbed - I Clum that tree over yonder.
-Crick - Creek - I'm goin to the crick to go swimmin'.
-Dawg - Dog - That shore is a dumb dawg.

-Doin's - A function or gathering - Are you goin to the doins tonight?
-Dreckly - Soon - I'll be there directly.
-Et - Eaten - Have you et yet?
-Fetch - Bring or Go Ge t- I want you to fetch the eggs fer me.
-Fer - For - Lets rest here fer a spell.
-Frog - Strangler - A Hard Rain That shor was a frog strangler.
-Gander - To look - Take a gander at that there bird!
-Git Get Go git some milk from that cow.
-Gully warsher - See Frog Strangler - That shore was a gully warsher.
-Haint - Ain't - I haint going to the store for Roastners today.
-Hankerin - Craving - I have a hankerin for Roastners.
-Hep - Help - Hep me warsh this dawg!
-Hisn - His - That dog is hisn.
-Holler - A Valley - My family lives down in the Holler.
-Kivver - Covered - That tree is kivvered with leaves.
-Liketa - Nearly - I liketa broke my neck when I tripped.
-Mighty - Definitely - She shore is mighty mean today.
-Naw - No - Naw, I aint a-fixen to go to the doins.
-Necked - Unclothed - Get Necked and throw them clothes in the warsh tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment