Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

This Is My Life (Part 4)

When I started preaching on weekends back in 1971 men like John Gilbert, Lynn Baker, Newby Thompson, E. F. Munn, Bill Waters, Jimmy Patterson, Bobby Johnson, and Richard Porterfield plus many others allowed me to minister from behind their pulpits either in revivals or on Sundays. What a joy it was to glean from these men what it was to be a pastor. Along with my father, Rev. Alton L. Stone, Sr., they had a tremendous impact on my life. Other men like Cecil Grant, J. B. Fortner, Max Atkins, Horace Mauldin also had a tremendous impact on me. I thank the Lord daily for the heritage of the Church of God that my Mom and Dad passed along to me, but also for the men and women of God in ministry that influenced, encouraged, and prayed for me along the way.

Our denomination is far from perfect. I have watched the politics from the inside as well as the outside of the ministry and still wonder about some situations and will probably do so until the Lord calls me home. I don't think any denomination or fellowship has not be affected by politics in their history. I always dreamed as I got older it would get better, but to be honest it never has changed. Just the faces, and maybe the places, but often the good old boy system still plays a role in our operations. I'm just thankful that I never learned to play the system. I tried once or twice and found it just wasn't me. Those who trained me may have done so, but they never revealed that side of the ministry to me.

Three men who had a very positive impact on my life were my dad, Bishop Bobby Johnson, and Bishop I. C. Morris, Jr. My dad was my grounding rod. He showed me how to fact adversity through prayer. He taught me the tenants of the faith, and he was my encourager when I didn't want to be encouraged. I don't know how I have made it these past 28 years without him. His memory will never fade. Bishop Bobby Johnson is still pastoring today. He taught me a sense of professionalism and sincerity in the ministry. He allowed me to be on the radio and television and explore that avenue of ministry for a producer's side. I contribute a lot that I learned in the early days to him. Bishop I. C. Morris, Jr. has been in heaven for a decade now, but he was the promoter. He knew what to do to get people's attention and how to minister to people in a very personal way. He and I had the Number 1 Christian music program on a Country music station for almost 4 years running. We also produced television specials, records, and started a tape ministry before that became a thing in the church of God. He knew how to intertwine praise and worship music with a large choir setting as well to set the tone for worship and allowed me to experiment with reel to reel soundtracks before they moved to cassettes.

As you can see these men had an influence on my life that was profound. I wouldn't trade it for the world. All I ask the Lord everyday is that somewhere along the way someone will say about me that I influenced them as much as these men influenced me.

(Tomorrow I will share about my associates who assisted me in ministry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment