Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Eight Feeling Shuffle

My dad taught me that you live and die for your church. In spite of dealing with stuff everywhere he served he did it with dignity and dillegence. He died at a young age still loving God and serving the church. It is with his training, and that of Pastors Bobby Johnson and I. C. Morris, Jr., that I have learned to persevere in spite of what people say or do to me, my family, or my church. It IS very difficult when you have to deal with drama all the time, but my call to God and my church family is important to me.

I have experienced calamity after calamity with our church building at my current pastorate, which tells me since the devil hasn't been able to kill me (3 heart attacks in 4 years) physically, hasn't destroyed my reputation or integrity (even though he has tried with people I have served and loved), he knows how to dig and dig until he finds your weak spot. Satan knows my love for my church, and after attacking my congregation physically and financially this past year, now he goes again after our building. 

I can tell you it's been a long time since I've felt as bad as I did yesterday after discovering the damage. I felt a little (very little, but a little) like Job. How could this happen after I had just thanked the Lord 2 hours before that we had no damage because of the freezing cold? After spending all week dealing with HVAC issues and trying to solve them now this happens? God- where are You?

I went through my pity party and the 8 feeling shuffle. Maybe you have been there when you feel your world us turned upside down.

The Eight Feeling shuffle seems like reality when your life is turned upside down. It goes like this:
1. It feels/seems like you are all alone
2. It feels/seems like God is not good. (At least not to you)
3. Your fears begin to multiply. (You fear everything but God)
4. It feels/seems like God has abandoned you or is unaware of your situation.
5. It seems like God doesn’t see or hear my cries for help.
6. It feels/seems like God is at best far away (Distant).
7. It feels/seems like God isn’t fair.
8. It feels/seems like this will never get better. (No hope for future)

Yes, I was there yesterday, but the Lord directed me to Psalm 69 this morning. When I read this my mind and heart were quickened by God. Here's what it says:

I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs. The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God. For the Lord heareth the poor, and despiseth not his prisoners. Let the heaven and earth praise him, the seas, and every thing that moveth therein. For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that they may dwell there, and have it in possession. The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love his name shall dwell therein. (Psalms 69:30-36 KJV) 

When everything feels like it's upside down, He's still in control. Sometimes God lets the devil do things to remind us that He still has the final say so. The Lord will bring us through and will bring us out. He is still my God in the time of trouble and is still yours to. Just trust Him and see Him put everything back in order as it should be. Your world maybe upside down today, but God can put it right side up again. Trust Him and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment