Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

In Memory of Horace Mauldin

One of the greatest Christian gentlemen and songwriters has received his reward. Horace Mauldin was one of the strongest musical influences on the Church of God in its glorious history. The impact of his songs have blessed thousands of people around the world. When The Lord called him home there was a great reward awaiting him.

Years ago I got to play guitar on a live recording of the Youth Choir on Friday night at Youth Camp. Steve played the bass and I played rhythm guitar. Roosevelt Miller directed the choir. Brother Horace and Brother Gerald Lee helped to engineer and record the songs. I still have that single today 44 years later. It wasn't until 26 years ago when my dad died that I discovered my name was listed in the credits as the guitarist on that record. Brother Horace did not have to do that back then, but he was always good at encouraging young ministers to express and utilize their talents for The Lord.

He will be sorely missed here in this life, but the song lives on. I featured the Mauldin Family this past June during Camp Meeting on
my podcasts. The recordings will remind us of those days gone by and hopefully when we have finished this earthly race we will get to hear that tenor voice again.

My prayers go out to Joan, Steve, and Russell, along with their families. The gates have swung open one last time and Brother Horace has made it in.

Farewell for now, but I will see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment