Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Surviving Bad Attitudes-Chapter 7-Sneak Attack (Continued)

The third area we have to deal with after we are blindsided is frustration. It is very frustrating when you have exhausted every effort to make sure an event goes exactly as planned and at the last minute someone blindsides you and things get all screwed up. You can have a every minute detail planned out before you and still have a sneak attack that will just leave you shaking your head and wondering what in the world just happened.

When these things occur the level of frustration builds to a point that you either give up, lose interest, or just refuse to keep on trying. You may say that's a little extreme, but ask any pastor or church leader who has dealt with a sneak attack and they will tell you the same thing almost every time. Instead of being positive and upbeat the mood can change in just a minute to something entirely different. That's how quickly frustration can take over a situation.

On one particular occasion I had an event planned for weeks and had announced it over and over. The day of the event two of my leaders that I needed to be involved in the service told me they wouldn't be there that night. When I asked why they informed me that the service we had planned just wasn't their cup of tea. Since it wasn't a regular service and it was something that they didn't really like, they just decided they would stay home. So here I am after weeks of announcing this service, 6 hours away from it's beginning, with two of my key personnel going to be absent. It's enough sometimes to make a grown man cry.

So what do you do to keep the frustration from overtaking you?

(1) Press on. If God is in the arrangement He will make a way. Some how when things seem to be the most frustrating God shows up to prove He is the author of it all. You and I just have to believe that He will do what He said and prove Himself in the midst of His people.

(2) Pull through. You can't climb out of any situation standing still. When we get frustrated we just want to walk away and give up. But I refuse to be a dungeon believer. I get out of the low places by pulling myself one step at a time from the muck and mire of discouragement. If I stay where I'm at I will sink and drown. I've come to far to let frustration get the best of me. Tomorrow is another day and God will see me through.

(3) Lift up. The Bible is full of Lift Up's. We are to lift up holy hand, we are to lift up our voices, we are to lift up one another, and we are to lift up praise to the Lord. Frustration steals all of those from a believer, so to combat that we must lift Him up. Jesus said, " If I be lifted up I will draw all men unto me." If that doesn't beat frustration nothing will!

So when the sneak attacks come (and believe me they will) don't let these three things affect you. Hold on and don't lose faith, don't become fearful, and don't let frustration win. God is on your side.

No comments:

Post a Comment