Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Surviving Bad Attitudes-Chapter 5-The Root Of Bitterness

I cannot leave the It's Mine And You Can't Have It Attitude alone just yet because it that spirit of jealousy that causes the root of bitterness to grow. I have known wonderful, godly people who have allowed jealousy and envy to make them some of the most bitter folks in the world. And believe me when people get bitter at a pastor, a lay leader, a family member, or something that has happen to them you will know it.

James 3:16 says, "For where envying (jealousy) and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work."

Bitterness is a root, thereby making it harder to identify and expose than many surface issues, but none the less it's a deadly poison that needs to be released. It is a means for defilement and countless sickness and diseases are a result of bitterness.

I have to completely honest here. I have had to deal with bitterness in my own heart on several occasions. I try to be a spiritual man and live what I preach, but I am a human being. I have been attacked verbally, lied about, accused falsely, and sometimes even misunderstood to the point that bitterness does try to put its roots into my life. Even recently I have had to deal with some feelings of bitterness that I have never dealt with before and put them under the blood.

The sad part about the roots of bitterness is that you can usually justify them. You feel used, misunderstood, attacked, criticized, and just plain abandoned sometimes. You spend hour after hour helping people only to have them let you down or turn against you over something stupid and it makes you bitter. Down deep you know that you did everything possible to help them, but they still turn on you like a pack of wild dogs. It's enough to make even the strongest believer lose faith.

That's where James 3:17 comes into play. James said, "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." The Message Bible says it like this, "Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and is characterized by getting along with others. It is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings, not hot one day and cold the next, not two-faced."

This verse gives us the keys to overcoming bitterness. Can I use the Message Bible to make it very plain and practical?

(1) I need God's Wisdom. God can give me the knowledge that there is bitterness somewhere within me trying to take root and give me the strength and power to overcome it.

(2) God's wisdom is unveiled through holy living. I can't know God's will or plan for anything unless I live holy before Him. God has a plan to keep bitterness from taking root in my life and if I let Him show me He will help me know how to deal with it.

(3) I've got to do my best to get along with others. God will judge me on how I treat others not necessarily on how they treat me. I have to answer to God for myself. If I do right, God will justify me and whatever I need to be justified. I cannot afford to let roots of bitterness come between me and what God wants to do in my life.

(4) I have to be a Christian in all areas of my life. A Christian is gentle, reasonable, and overflowing with mercy and blessings. Too many people are Christians in name only and not in lifestyle. To keep bitterness away from me I must allow the Holy Spirit to be in authority in my life. I must surrender everything to Him and be what I should be to keep the roots of bitterness at bay.

(5) Lastly, I must have a standard and stick to it. To many people change with the wind. They follow after every whim of doctrine until they can find something to justify their behavior good or bad. All God wants is for us to be true to Him and true to His Word. All the world is looking for is someone who is not wishy-washy but upholds the truth and what they believe.

Read this passage: Hebrews 12:15, "Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled."

If there is a root of bitterness, it needs to be cut off at the root and removed from one's soul. We need to make a choice to release all hurt and bottled up feelings inside our systems, and repent for holding that poison in our hearts. Turn from those feelings and forsake them, and allow the Lord's love to minister to your soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment