Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

What A Difference A Year Makes

Ten months ago on December 19th I was sitting in the parsonage at Union planning for our Christmas activities the next day at church. Becky and I were planning to leave out on Monday and come to our house on the campground for a week with the family. Here I am today on December 20th living in my home on the Campground, having just finished our Christmas Celebration at church just a few hours ago. None of us knew or planned these things, but God got into the arrangements and worked things out.

This was our first Christmas celebration in 14 years that wasn't at the Union Church of God. I still catch myself writing my old address down every once in awhile and I still think about dear friends gone on to glory that I pastored for so many years there. But you know what, this Christmas celebration was just as special and wonderful as any of those that I celebrated with the UCOG family. In fact, this Christmas will always be special because of new friends and a new church family that welcomed and accepted us here at DCOG during this past year.

What a difference a year makes. I can explain it in just a few simple lines:
-Some people that loved me last year in Union got mad at me because I left. They thought I was leaving for a promotion and not in the will of God.
-Some people last year knew that I was greatly burdened in my spirit and prayed for God to show me what to do concerning my future and my ministry.
-Some folks didn't know what to expect when they got me, but they received me and allowed me to lead them as the Lord directs me to do so.

Who knows what changes will take place in this coming year if the Lord holds off His return.

There are three things that I can truthfully say that I believe will make a difference this year in my life and ministry.
(1) God has rekindled my passion for ministry. With His help I believe this will be the year that God returns DCOG to it's full potential. I am praising Him now in this season of celebration for what He is going to do in our midst.

(2) I know I am in the center of God's plan for my life. It was time for Becky and I to leave Union. We knew it and so did God. We had to let go and we did. God has blessed the church there with another good pastor. As I told that congregation many times in the past I was not one that couldn't be replaced. In fact they would have probably gotten rid of me many a time but they would have lost Becky in the process (that's an inside joke).

(3) I believe that this year I will see the difference God can make in other people's lives become a greater reality. I am expecting, believing, and trusting for the greatest harvest of my ministry in 2011.

Well, this is what you get from a pastor who is pumped up after a great day of worship. What a difference from last week, what a difference from last year, and what a difference this coming year will bring.

Take time to enjoy this Christmas season with your loved ones and remember-it could be different next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment