Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Best Christmas Gifts

Whoever said that grandchildren were a special gift from God was absolutely right! 11 1/2 years ago we were blessed with the birth of our first grand, Hannah. 7 years later came Gracie, and then 2 1/2 years ago came my little man, Hayden. My daughter-in-law had a death in her family over the weekend so we had to keep Gracie and Hayden while she, Shane, and Hannah went to be with the family in Atlanta for the services on Monday and Tuesday.

Bed time is still a chore for those two. Gracie likes to sleep with the TV on all night and Hayden (at our house) doesn't know how to wind down. Gracie crashed at about 11:15 Monday night but Hayden waited until about 3 a.m. When I got up to go to the gym the next morning, he was asleep right next to the presents under the Christmas tree.

All three of them are such a blessing to Becky and I as we grow older. Hannah is beautiful like her mother and is developing some of the same vocal talents that she has as well. She also is taking interest in piano just like her mom, Mimi, and Popee. Gracie, who by the way lives with the middle child syndrome, loves attention and is quite a very proper little lady. She loves to dress up and has a big old smile that will catch your attention when you meet her. Hayden is all boy all the time with more energy than his Mimi, which is saying a lot. He never seems to slow down and loves to play and explore.

All three are different, not only age wise but in personality as well. Yet one thing I will always remember with all of them. I experienced it again last night. From the time all of them were little the greatest joy I ever had was just to lay back in the recliner with them laying on my chest and them taking a nap. Hayden weighs around 45 pounds so he's a pretty big little guy, but he will still crawl up in the chair with me, lay his head on my shoulder, and make himself a bed right then and there.

My dad didn't get to experience much with the majority of his grands. The Lord took him to heaven before most of them were born. I guess this is why they are some of the best gifts I could have ever received from the Lord. My health has declined over the past few years as a result of an accident and it's been a struggle sometimes to recover from the various surgeries I've gone through. But it's those 3 gifts-Hannah, Gracie, and Hayden- that give me the desire to keep pushing forward and not to give in or give up. They are worth everything to me and I am grateful to the Lord for allowing me to enjoy them. Their love is worth more than anything that money could buy.

This Christmas season if you are a grandparent, take time to thank God for the best Christmas gifts you could ever receive-young or old-your grands. They will keep your legacy alive and hopefully share the emotions you do for them with their children as well. As a dear friend of mine reminds me constantly during this season, "Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a child or children!" Amen to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment