Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

God Has A Purpose In All Things

It was this week last year that I called our Administrative Bishop and asked to have my name considered at Donaldson Church of God in January 2010. It was probably one of the hardest things that I had ever done as a pastor because Becky and I had pastored the Union Church of God for 13 years. I prayed and questioned the Lord several times about leaving Union before I pursued any other venture because I wanted the Lord's Will in my life. When I made the call to the Overseer I knew I had done the right thing.

The last two years of my ministry have probably been the hardest for me. I can explain that statement in just a few sentances. First, it is always hard to leave a place that you are comfortable at. Becky and I were involved in so many things in church and throughout the community in Union that it was just second nature. There were no adjustments that had to be made because we knew everybody and they knew us. Second, the transition back to a larger city was great, but learning new people and the nuances of a new church were some things we hadn't had to do in 13 years so it was a little more difficult than I expected at age 57.

After the transition some thing begin to reveal themselves that really caused us both great hurt. Some folks that we really loved in our former church attacked us verbally and said things that were hurtful and not true because we had moved. They said that we had abandoned them. Man, I couldn't believe that those people would do such a thing because we had always been there when they needed us. To make it even worse I have had to deal with more problems and situations that I did not cause at DCOG than I ever expected. In fact the other day I just shook my head and said, "God what in the world are You doing to me? I'm too old for this!"

But the Lord has a purpose in all things. He did not speak to me out loud or send a huge demonstration my way, but in a simple way He let me know that if I were not in the center of His Will that the enemy would not be attacking me so much. He also proved to me that He is the Lord of the church and reminded me that He would seperate the chaff from the wheat and that when He was done it would be His church. All that I could do is just humble myself in His presence and believe.

So these are some things that I have learned and can express this Christmas season that I couldn't really say last year at this time and mean it:

-Regardless of what people do or say God is still good and will never leave me nor forsake me.
-Regardless of my failures He is strong in my weaknesses and will never let me down.
-Regardless of what others do God will provide and make a way where there is no way.

This Christmas season I am glad for my family, my church, my life; but most of all that I know I'm in the center of God's Will. And guess what? that's enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment