Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Being Very Serious (Part 50)

When Becky had her first pacemaker installed in 1983 we went through a very difficult time. It took several months to get it operating right and several trips back and forth to the hospitals in Charlotte and Durham. Those were very difficult days. Shane was just 3 years old, dad had a massive heart attack and was in critical condition, and I was trying to pastor my church. At one point I was in such a tizzy I didn't know what to do. Here we are 33 years later and Becky's still going strong and I'm the one that has a disability. Life can take a strange turn over the years.

Life is filled with ups and downs, joys and tragedies, triumphs and mistakes, laughter and pain, love and heartbreak. One thing is a fact for most of us-we don't always get what we expected our lives to be and for that we should be eternally grateful. I was privileged to serve in many different positions in ministry full-time, work in some of our largest churches at the time, and had the opportunity several years ago to do even more, but I never made it to the top rung of authority in our denomination or served on the State Council. In fact, I never desired to be in any other position than a pastor and God gave me the desires of my heart.

God has always given me what I needed and not what I thought I wanted. Sometimes He allowed me to put myself in places where I had to be totally dependent upon Him. If I had gotten everything I had hoped for I probably would be less thankful today for all of his blessings. Instead God kept me growing, learning, and becoming the person I was meant to be through the trials of life. Life was my school, troubles were my teachers, and the twists and turns of this world were my courses. The classes continue on as well for me, you, and everyone in this world until it's our time to face eternity.

I try not to think these days of what I wanted out of life, but think of what I gave my life for instead as a pastor. I strive today to be a better husband, a loving grandfather, a caring friend, and a good neighbor. I seek to do what I can with what I have to make this world a little more heavenly and to show others that they can do the same. I try to share all the things I have learned these past 45 years of ministry with those that will listen. I learned that God loves us more than we could ever dream, that we can love each other as well, and that when we do so we'll have joy no matter what struggles we may face or losses we may endure.

I challenge you to take some time each day to think about what you can give to life. You are a Child of God with unique talents, knowledge, and blessings. You can give this world so much love and do so much to help others. You can make this world and your soul a little better each day. And when you do so you will get what we all truly want out of life: a good report!

No comments:

Post a Comment