Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Monday's Stink

I don't usually use this kind of language, but I will make an exception today. I saw a sign the other day that said simply, "Monday's Stink!"

Have you ever wondered why Tuesday always seems so much better than Monday?

I'm sure there are several reasons for many of you, but I can only speak from the heart of a pastor. I was lying in bed early this morning and this thought came to me because to be honest with you I totally dislike Mondays just like many other pastors.

For a pastor of a any size church Monday seems like the longest day of the week. Let me explain why I think that is so:

-It's the day you complete an examination of your performance on Sunday and hope and pray that you did things superior enough to please the Lord and hopefully touch someone in your congregation.

-It's the day that you try to tie up all the loose ends from the week before, put out any wildfires before they rage out of hand, the day you wonder how you will explain someone's absence to the dozens of people that ask you why so-and-so wasn't in church, and the day you start planning for the week ahead hoping it will be better than last week.

-It's the day you question what could you have done any differently to steady someone who seems to be floating thru the congregation rather than getting grounded in the congregation.

-It's the day you try to stretch the tithe and offering dollars to meet the needs of the church that most of the time were there when you assumed the position of pastor.

-It's the day to make sure the media gets done, the day to update the websites, and the day to figure out the promotions you want to stress the next weekend.

-It's also the day you try to figure out why people leave your church because of problems with others in the congregation, but you know you will get the blame for them leaving regardless.

Sadly, according to most statistics, Monday is the day that most pastors literally resign because of the stress and expectations they feel are placed upon them by the ones they serve. Every pastor worth his or her salt feels the heaviness of the burdens upon the congregation both spiritually and financially. He or she knows their limitations in giving, their expectations through prayer, their anticipation of what they want from their pastor, and also their disappointment when it doesn't come through. That strain alone causes many a servant of God to question their calling, their commitment, and why they're doing what they are trying to do each Sunday in their respective congregations.

On Monday the pastor is:
-most vulnerable to attacks of discouragement and depression from the enemy.
-most unsure of his placement and calling because of a lack of numbers or finance.
-most disappointed because despite his best efforts he still has people leave from his congregation for unknown reasons.
-most aware that he/she has put more burdens on themselves because they feel they have come up short in what they expected of themselves.

As I was pondering this question today in my mind the devil was bringing to me every failure I had ever experienced in ministry. Man, I didn't realize I had failed in so many areas, but I discovered Lucifer is a good bookkeeper. It's been awhile since he has used this tactic on me. But as he tried to remind me of my failures, God begin to put this Word in my heart from 2 Timothy 4:1-5:

"I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry."

Now I remember why I like Tuesday so much better than Monday.

God always reminds me on Tuesday:
-All you can do is preach the Word.
-All you can do is teach the Word.
-All you can do is be an example of the Word.
-All you can do is live the Word.

BUT......

It's up to me to do the rest!

So pastor friend, you may be like me and dislike Monday, but remember Tuesday is on the way! Be refreshed in the Lord today and be the best you can be to please Him. He will take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment