Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, February 24, 2014

There ain't no future in the past

The man looked a little worried when the doctor came in to administer his annual physical, so the first thing the doctor did was to ask whether anything was troubling him.

"Well, to tell the truth, Doc, yes," answered the patient. "You see, I seem to be getting forgetful. No, it's actually worse than that. I can never remember where I park my car, where I'm going, or what it is I'm going to do once I get there -- if I get there. So, I really need your help. What can I do?"

The doctor mused for a moment, then answered kindly, "Pay me in advance."

Actually, forgetfulness isn't all bad, specially when we decide to forget all that pain from the past that threatens to ruin the present. I like the old saying that goes, "There ain't no future in the past."

The past is to be remembered because we need to learn from our mistakes to keep from repeating them? But why would I want to remember every time I felt hurt because of things people have done to me? Why would I want to fill my mind with the details of past pain? It's better to remember the times that brought me joy or love or feelings of warmth, but sadly even those wonderful moments too easily fade away.


Dwell on the past, but not the negative past, the pain of the past, nor the sadness. Dwell on the good. Be consumed by past joys and obsessed with gratitude. Dwell upon the moments that uplifted you, the times you laughed and the memories of love shown to you by friends and family.

Not everything should be remembered, and those who live well know what to forget and what to cherish. There ain't no future in the past, but there is some joy, love, and kindness there if we choose to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment