Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Negative thoughts

There is no such thing as neutral thoughts. If you catch yourself saying something like ‘you are so clumsy’ or ‘you are so stupid,’ you must replace it with an inspiration message like ‘that is very unlike me’ or ‘I am very capable of doing better.’ It seems Nature abhors a vacuum and, if you leave space in your mind, it will quickly fill with a thought, usually negative.

It has been suggested to me that you should always have a set phrase to use when you have a negative thought. One author suggested saying ‘I cancel that’ and immediately substitute an inspiration message but I have used another technique at times: I pretend to take the words from my mouth and throw them away. Another similar suggestion I have heard is to write the negative thought on a piece of paper and physically throw it in the waste bin. Bold gestures like that emphasize the destruction of the useless thought or words.

Then instantly replace the negative statement with a good inspiration message.

Whatever you do, it is important to tell yourself that you are very capable and special and give yourself an inspiration message to back that up.

Why? Because there is no doubt that you are an important and significant individual and capable of great things. I just want you to believe it.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment