Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Purpose

Philippians 3:7-14 "But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have 4apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Can you remember a time when you were consumed with purpose about something or someone?
Here is the Apostle Paul near the end of his walk with God and he is still passionately driven in his relationship with God. How is that possible?

(1) He kept his purpose before him.
-Purpose brings clarity and focus
-Purpose determines what is of value and importance

(2) Paul had determined that his relationship with Christ was more important to him than anything else.
-The dynamics of this relationship included passion, intimacy, and commitment. All these elements must be present, though in various degrees at different times. If you loose one through neglect you are in danger of loosing the relationship or damaging the purpose for which you were intended.

(3) Paul knew Him and the power of His resurrection.
-To know him-Experiential-Greek word  here means passion.

John 10:27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." 

John 17:3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent."

-To know Him-Relational-An intimate walk with Him.
Galatians 2:20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” 

(4) Purpose helps us to remove what is extraneous and cumbersome.
-Every garage starts out empty and clean, but things accumulate. Sometimes we must clean out the garage. Everyday before the end of the day we must take time to clean up, sort out and put things in order. Regular attendance at church, reading of the scripture, and times of prayer help us keep things in order and also maintain the passion, intimacy and commitment in our life with Christ.

(5) Purpose keeps us moving forward.
-It would be hard to keep going forward if you are always looking over your shoulder. Paul keep pressing on rather than going back. That's what purpose gives you in the long run. A desire to keep moving ahead rather than to lag behind.
(6) Purpose reminds us of the prize at the end of the journey.
-There is a prize waiting for those who fulfill their purpose in life. Not only will affect generations that follow by setting a great example for them, but it also ends with a heavenly promised fulfilled for the believer who doesn't falter in their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment