Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Surviving Bad Attitudes-Chapter 9-Dealing With Streakers

Let me say in the beginning the streakers I'm talking about are not the ones that run around without their clothing. The ones that I'm talking about are those that are like the church at Laodicea in Revelation 3:15, 16:

"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

Every church has them and every pastor has to deal with them. It's the folks that streak in and out of church that are constantly lukewarm that cause us more headaches than anyone could possibly imagine. They are the ones that complain the most, expect more than they give, and if they feel neglected will let everybody know that the preacher, the church, or God let them down. God says that they are nauseating because they are lukewarm, and lukewarm stuff either tastes bad or makes you sick.

I've had my fair share of these kinds of folks and sometimes wonder why God allows some of the stuff they do to go on. Maybe you reading this can relate to these following statements.
(1) They are for everything, yet support very little.
(2) They are with you when they feel they can get something out of it, but they're against you when it doesn't benefit them.
(3) They agree with you to your face and make you feel good about your decisions, but behind your back they are attacking you and putting you down.

The streakers always seem to know when it's time to pack up and run. It's like they have some built-in radar that warns them they are about to get caught, so they just vanish into thin air until the next go round when they begin to feel spiritual again.

Do you know what else Jesus said to John to write about Laodicea? Look at the next two verses:

Verses 17, 18 "Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see."

Remember this-streakers never want to assume responsibility. They appear to know it all and have it under control, but they never want to pay the price of responsibility to make things right and be consistent. Usually any attempt on your part to persuade them otherwise is met with rebuttal or just plain rejection.

So how do you deal with streakers?
(1) You pray that God will open their eyes to see the folly of their ways and will expose their true nature to those around them.

I had a gentleman who was a leader in one of the churches that I served that was a good man, but turned out to be a streaker. As along as you preached what he liked he was with you, but when you begin to minister to the needs of others his attitude turned sour. He had no problem expressing himself negatively when things didn't go his way.

He had lost his companion and shortly thereafter I went by to visit him. Apparently I surprised him and some activity was going on in his home that was not christian, let alone activity that a leader in the church should be doing. He came to the door half dressed and out of breath and tried to make some excuses as to why he was in that condition. I didn't say anything about the situation I had caught him in, but let him know I was praying for him and left. He looked very relieved when I didn't press on going into his home. One note here to remember-if you are going to do something that a Christian shouldn't do make sure the windows are closed. I'll move on from there.

I was upset about what I had seen, but I put in the hands of the Lord and prayed that God would deal with him before I had to. Well, lo and behold he comes in the next week and resigns his positions, but makes it look like I made him do so. Then he starts to tell his story about the course of events I had caught him in trying to justify his behavior. I had not even mentioned the situation to anybody, but from that point forward he was in and out of church, and as far as I know he still is today. Instead of confessing his wrong and making things right with God, he tried to put the blame on me for something I didn't do. The sad part about it is he had done this several times before in his lifetime each time blaming the pastor or the church for his failure to stay established.

Just as I said earlier, streakers don't want to assume responsibility. That's why we have to pray and put them in the hands of God. He can deal with them and show them the error of their ways and help them to find that stable ground they need to become rooted and grounded in Him. If not He will expose them and their sins to the congregation and break the stranglehold they seem to have on their excuses. God still can do that.
(Continued tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment