Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Surviving Bad Attitudes-Chapter 8 continued-Dealing With Streakers

(2) Streakers know how to hit-and-run.
Just like their worldly counterparts they seem to know exactly the precise moment to show up and then to depart. They gain your confidence, your trust, and raise your expectations and then quickly vanish before you see them fulfilled. I cannot tell you how many people that I have had let me down that promised me the moon and never stayed around long enough to deliver it. It's the classic hit-and-run tactic that we're talking about.

I recall one gentleman who told me that he would stand with me until the end, only to find out his ending point was different from mine. One family told Becky and me that God had put them in the church to help us reach our goals, and less than 6 months later, they said that God was moving them somewhere else.

The worst part about streakers is there is usually little truth in what they speak. They do not necessarily lie, but they speak in half-truths and say what you want to hear, only later to recant and do something different. I spent hours one time with a family that I thought was really going to help our church in Union. I visited them, assisted them financially, prayed with them, and did everything that I could do to get them grounded in the church. Yet, the end result was they left me high and dry and told people I didn't care about them. Huh?

The funniest thing that ever backfired on a streaker that I ministered to came several years back. We had won this family into our church that came from a very strict organization. Yes, even stricter than us. After one service the man in the family (and I say this loosely cause his wife wore the pants-you'll get that later) brought me a guitar and amplifier and said the Lord had told him to give it to me to sell to help me financially. He said he wanted to invest in my ministry and the proceeds were mine from the sale. I refused at first, but he was persistent and so I relented. I sold the guitar and amp and made about $250, which was big money at that time for me pastoring a small church. However, they soon left us after that because we were not holy enough for them. We had too many women wearing pants and makeup to church for them to be happy. Sad but true, 6 months later I ran into them in a local department store and guess who had on pants and makeup?

Well, at least I got blessed out of that hit-and-run attack.

Remember this before I close out this part and finish tomorrow with this subject-Streakers have no staying power. They may be there for 3 weeks, 3 months, or 3 years. They will promise you everything and tell you what you want to hear, but eventually will let you down. It is YOUR responsibility to push past the disappointment and press on. If I quit everytime someone let me down I would never have gotten started. They forsook Jesus, they forsook Paul, and yes, they will forake you and I; but hold on because God will be with you and see you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment