Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Surviving Bad Attitudes-Chapter 11 continued

These are the last few words that I want to share about CHANGES that have to take place if the church is going to survive or thrive in these last days.

(1) We have to CHANGE our attitude about presenting Christ to a lost and dying world. During Becky's Cross Ministry at Hillcrest Hospital this week she talked with a very well educated lady who commended her for the ministry to the sick that she has. She also said that she had just started going back to church recently and had found a church that did not judge her or try to figure out her past life. She further stated that they didn't seemed that concerned about why she was there, they were just glad that she was.

When I first went to Union to pastor, I encountered that attitude. Every new person that walked through the door was scrutinized, analyzed, and examined from head to toe. Within two years that spirit was gone. I have encountered the same at my current church. In fact I had to address it at both places from the pulpit. It's not any body's business to know some one's past and then to gossip about it. It is our responsibility to take whosoever walks through our church doors as a potential worker in the Kingdom of God. If we don't CHANGE our attitude about reaching the lost, welcoming the strangers, and opening our hearts to people in need then why are we there in the first place? A church is a haven of rest for all who believe not just for a selected few.

(2) We have to CHANGE our attitude about ministry. Am I a perfect pastor? Absolutely not. I make mistakes just like everybody else. I have my faults as well. Somehow we have to CHANGE the mentality of our churches that sin is sin, wrong is wrong, and right is right. When we resist CHANGE just because we don't like it, and then run people down because of it, it is sin. Gossip will send more people to hell than adultery, and my how the church loves to gossip. One good man who is a sinner told me recently, "Preacher, I know the people in your church. I live better than most of them. At least I don't get on the phone and run everybody down or try to find out other people's business all the time."

I know that many people believe once they get saved they can ever sin again, but that's not what the Bible says. The Word tells us to "Strive to be holy" or "to be holy as I am holy", but that is easier said than done. Perhaps the best way to look at it is through what Paul said to the church at Philippi in Philippians 2: 12 "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

The Message Bible says it this way: "What I'm getting at, friends, is that you should simply keep on doing what you've done from the beginning. When I was living among you, you lived in responsive obedience. Now that I'm separated from you, keep it up. Better yet, redouble your efforts. Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure."

If we spent as much time for ministry as we do on the negative things about ministry we fuss about we could literally CHANGE the world. But until we CHANGE our minds about ministry the church will never be what it needs to be.

(3) We have to CHANGE our minds about CHANGE. Ask yourself three different questions about CHANGE in general:
a. If I could CHANGE anything about myself what would it be?
b. If I could CHANGE anything about my family what would it be?
c. Why can't I accept CHANGE when CHANGE is happening all around me?

The answer to the first question for many would start on the outside. Most people would say they would want to change their appearance by losing weight, getting rid of the gray, or the wrinkles. Very few people would say change my attitude because that's the thing that takes the most effort.

The second answer would be that many would want their family to prosper and be blessed in this world today. Nothing wrong with that, but very few would answer that they desired to see a unity, love, or spirit of togetherness. Once again the majority would focus on the natural rather than the spiritual.

Last but not least, many would answer I don't have the ability to handle CHANGE because it's to uncomfortable. Well, my answer to that is you're wrong. When gas went up did you sell your car, refuse to travel, buy a bike, or start to walk to work or the store? Nope-you paid the extra, bought the gas, and kept on keeping on. You had to accept CHANGE. You probably didn't like it or even agree with it, but you had to accept it to survive.

Did you sell your fridge and stove because groceries have gone up in price? Have you decided it's better to go around naked because the cost of clothing has gone up? Have you gone back to candles because electricity costs to much? Nope-you had to accept whatever change came along and learn how to deal with it.

Most bad attitudes in church develop when people have to make changes, yet they do it all the time in their everyday lives. Why then does the church have to be stalemated and antiquated and continue to do the same old same old that doesn't work any more? Change is inevitable and you either go with it or you die without it. The choice is completely yours to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment