Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Dealing With Your Past (Part 5)

Dealing With Your Past (Part 5)

Traumatic life events can so overwhelm our nervous systems with memories of the events that are not fully processed. Our desire to avoid these painful memories further prevents us from facing and ultimately making peace with these haunting thoughts that seek to dominate our minds.  

Despite our best efforts to bury these memories, they pop into our minds out of nowhere:

-They trigger everything from panicked responses to trauma reminders.

-They flood your body with stress hormones.

-They affect how you see yourself, others, and the world.

These dynamics are clearest in post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Whether the trauma happened in childhood or later in life, undigested memories can continue to haunt us. I have two good friends who are veterans that still fight the devil due to their combat-related trauma of 40 years ago. Their memories feel as fresh as when they were 22 years old on the battlefield. While I was pastoring, I was once called by  the wife of one of my best members who suffered from PTSD. When I arrived at their home she and her three children were crying because her husband had a dark episode and was hiding behind the couch and refusing to come out. I learned that day how powerful the past can be whether it was in childhood or in life.

After my stroke, my mind kept reminding me of my inabilities, failures, and struggles. I couldn't see any good that I had done and I focused only on things that hurt me or people that did me wrong. It was a long time before I could see the light of day because the part of my brain that was affected by my stroke was the part that dealt with most of my emotions. I couldn't see the future because I was letting my hurts, pains, and frustrations with difficult people cloud my vision. It is still a journey everyday to get back from that place. I have to fight those feelings even today even though I am a Spirit-filled believer.

Only by facing your darkest memories through prayer and praise, do you allow that open wound to heal. You may be left with a scar or some type of PTSD, but the pain will no longer be as difficult as it once was to handle with God's help.

-Remember your cleansing from past mistakes.



2 Peter 1:8, 9 “For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins."


Don’t dwell on your past mistakes and don't forget your cleansing from sin. A great and awful price was paid; namely the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ, for your sins. You must strive towards living a purposeful life in the Lord instead of letting the things of the past defeat you.


-Reflect on God’s goodness towards you in spite of your past mistakes.



Psalm 25:7 “Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good.” 


God is good to everyone on the earth including the believer and unbeliever alike. Yet when we come to know Christ, we are completely forgiven and cleansed by the blood of Jesus. We didn’t deserve His goodness; therefore, we need times to reflect and meditate on His love, grace, and mercy towards us.


-Get Past the Past Mistakes!



Being filled with the Holy Spirit should compel each of us to move forward to completing the mission of His calling. Getting bogged down because of our past makes us ineffective and a hindrance in ministry. Deal with the consequences of past mistakes with grace and wisdom from the Lord. But get past the past mistakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment