Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Friday, February 17, 2017

What A Friend

Ephesians 3:12 "In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by faith in Him."

What A Friend We Have In Jesus is a song that speaks an unforgettable truth. Have you sung it recently? If not, remember the last two lines of the second verse:

“Can we find a friend so faithful, Who will all our sorrow bear?Jesus knows our every weakness, Take it to the Lord in prayer.”

What an amazing friend He is! Jesus is always there for us. Jesus is caring, listening, loving, and never leaves us. He is always the same  and our stable foundation.
Everyone and everything else around us changes constantly. Our bodies change, our location changes, and the seasons change. Children, parents, and friends come and go. Yet Jesus is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

When I lost my dad 28 years ago it was the worst thing I had ever experienced in my life. Not only were my brothers and I grieving the loss of our father, we  watched our mom lose her soulmate and only love. Her whole life changed and there was nothing we could do about it because dad was gone. I remember that during the time I was grieving, I would ask myself what could be more painful. One day the Holy Spirit gave me the answer. He reminded me that if Jesus were to ever leave me, that would be utterly horrible and bring total darkness. I realized then that God had called my dad to his reward at His time and that He would take care of us and never leave us alone.   

Who would I talk to hundreds of times a day if He weren’t there? Who would I send thoughts of praise to many times a day? Where would I go in times of emergency? Where would I receive Life and Light for the day?
How glad I am that He will never leave me or you. No matter the changes that occur during our lifetime, He does not change, and He does not leave us. He is our “forever friend.” What a friend we have in Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment