Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Backside Of Nowhere

Colossians 3:15 "And always be thankful.”

When I was a young Christian, I naively thought temptations such as being cynical or having a critical attitude would lessen with age. I thought I would be a nicer person when I reached the age of a senior. However, to my dismay, I find my mind is still being attacked by those same temptations due to horrible experiences I've endured in my senior years. The fact is we never stop dealing with our sinful nature, even though the Holy Spirit has given us a spiritual nature. I always said I wanted to be sweet and not sour when I got older, but I catch myself fighting those spirits more the older I get.

I've found that I need to be in continuous, moment-by-moment fellowship with God so I can remember to give my temptations to Him. When temptations come knocking at your door, you have to learn to let Jesus answer. He has given you the power to overcome the temptations of life if you allow Him to be in control. He's endured them all and overcome and can assist you as well throughout the course of your life.

Cynicism is one of the worst temptations that plague us today. It seems to be getting worse as we get older. Perhaps because of our past experiences we may very well be correct in our insights and analysis, but if our hearts are without love, it is sin. As a pastor I dealt with this spirit in others almost everyday. I used to be an eternal optimist doing what the Bible says and looking for something good in every situation. Yet I now realize that dealing with cynics and constant criticism put my mind in such a state I almost became a total pessimist.

I found the only cure for cynicism was to cultivate a habit of thankfulness. A thankful heart cannot be cynical.
If you find yourself being cynical or critical today, begin thanking God for all the blessings in your life. You will much happier. Since I have done this one thing, my optimistic outlook is returning, as well as my trust in people. Trust me, it's not fun living on the backside of nowhere. Let thankfulness prevail and your life will change!

No comments:

Post a Comment