Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, January 9, 2017

Clinging To His Hand

Joshua 23:8 AMP "But cling to the Lord your God...”

When I was about 4 years old I was with my aunt and uncle in Robinson's Toy Store in North Charleston. Back in the 50's things were not like they are today, but I strayed away from them in the store. I was fascinated by the toys and just reached up without looking to grab my aunts' hand. To my surprise it wasn't my aunt! I grabbed the hand of a stranger, who was just as startled as I was. Luckily my aunt was close by and came running when she saw my predicament. Needless to say, I didn't let go of her hand the rest of the time and she didn't let go of mine.

I have learned as a Christian about clinging to the hand of the Lord in the good times and bad. God won't let go of your hand, but you have to be willing to cling to His.

-You have to open your arms and/or hands first.
You can’t cling to Him with your arms crossed or slack, or if your hands are clenched. He is there to carry you, but you have to trust Him and hang on.

-When you are clinging to Him, you go where He is going and fit into His way.
It's like the old song we sang as children, "When we all pull together." When you are holding His hand you don't manipulate Him. He is the director and the author and finisher of your faith.

-He invites us to cling to Him.
He is the strong One. We chose whether to cling to Him or go through life alone. It's the same hand that flung the stars into space and caresses a sparrow when it falls.

Are you clinging to the Lord or have you been going it alone? It is lonely and frightening with out someone to cling to. He is strong and mighty in battle and can reach farther down than you can reach up. Grab ahold of His hand and you will never regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment