Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

The School Of Life

James 4:14 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

When I was 18 life seemed to be a mysterious adventure that lay far beyond the security of high school. Little did I know then just how much of an adventure the next 44 years would be. My life has been full of ups and downs, joys and tragedies, triumphs and mistakes, laughter and pain, love and heartbreak. One thing is for certain, though, I definitely didn’t get what I always wanted. And for that I am eternally grateful.

You see, God in His infinite wisdom always gave me what I needed and not what I thought I wanted. If I had gotten what I had hoped for I would be a far more selfish and far less loving person today. Instead God kept me growing, learning, and becoming the person I was meant to be. Life was my school, troubles were my teachers, and the twists and turns of this world were my courses. The classes continue on as well for me, you, and everyone here.

These days I try not to think of what I want out of life but think of what I can give to life instead. I strive to be a loving father and grandfather, a caring friend, a good neighbor, and a good husband. I seek to do what I can with what I have to make Earth a little more like Heaven and to show others that they can do the same. I try to share all the things I have learned these past 44 years: that God loves us more than we could ever dream, that we can love each other as well, and that when we do so we will have joy no matter what struggles we may face or losses we may endure.

Take some time today then to think about what you can give to life. You are a beloved Child of God with unique talents, knowledge, and blessings. You can give this world so much love and do so much to help others. You can make this world and your soul a little better each day. And when you do so you will get what we all truly want out of life: sweet happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment