Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Shamgar Principles


Judges 3:31 “And after him was Shamgar the son of Anath, which slew of the Philistines six hundred men with an ox goad: and he also delivered Israel.”

The Word of God shares with us the stories of many different heroes:
-David who kills Goliath and is a man after God's own heart.
-Moses who leads God's people out of Egypt and speaks with God face to face as a man speaks with his friend.
-The ministry of Paul that is so powerful even the devil and demons know and fear his name.

The Bible is literally filled with wonderful heroes. Yet most people have heard very few sermons preached about the man named Shamgar. Shamgar gets 2 verses in all the Bible. Just 42 words are said about Shamgar in Judges 3:31 and 5:6. Yet this man’s story is so important that a whole book was written about the Shamgar Principle in 2004 by Pat Williams, Jay Strack, and Jim Denny. In the book they share 3 principles that they derived from Shamgar and I want to use those 3 points today. I believe the Lord laid this upon my heart because some still believe that the glory days of our church are past. Yet I believe if we together adopt these principles our best days are ahead of us. What are those three principles about Shamgar?

-You start where you are.
-You use what you've got.
-You do what you can.

-You start where you are.
According to Jewish tradition Shamgar was most likely a farmer. No one ever trained him for battle or in the art of war. All he knew was farming. I’m sure Shamgar was very upset about the condition of the land of Judah when God called him into service right there on the farm. God had placed Israel once again into the hands of the Philistines because of their sins against Him. These Philistines would come to Shamgar's village regularly, destroy their crops and take away everything people had to live on just as they did others in the region according to their history. Despite the lack of military training, Shamgar responded to God's calling to fight the Philistines.
He had a passion and a desire to serve God and redeem Israel although he had never fought in battle before. Many Christians today dream of doing great things for God, but they don't obey when He calls them to do something for Him. It's not necessary to worry about where we are or what we have or don’t have, but it is our obligation to obey God and submit yourself to His will right where you are.

Matthew 22:14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Romans 11:29 “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”

1 Peter 2:9, 10 “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light; Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.”

-You use what you’ve got.
Shamgar killed 600 Philistines with an ox goad. The most common form of transportation in that day was to ride in a cart which was drawn by oxen. From time to time, the oxen would want to stop and veer off the road to eat or whatever. The driver of the cart had a long stick which was pointy, like a spear, used for prodding the oxen along to keep them moving straight and forward. Also, at the back of the cart, the oxen would like to kick at the one who was prodding them, so big thorns were attached to the cart. These were called the “pricks” and they encouraged the oxen that were foolish enough to try to kick at the owner of the ox goad. So what does Shamgar use to go to war with the Philistines? An ox goad, which was the major tool of his trade as a farmer and driver of an ox cart.

I imagine that the Philistines laughed at him, much like Goliath mocked David for being a child and attacking him with a child's toy like a sling. Can you imagine the taunts of those Philistines about Shamgar needing to go back to the farm where he belonged? I guarantee you they mocked him right up until they saw a few of their buddies die at the end of that ox goad. And I believe they had the most unusual look of wonder as well when he killed them with that ox goad, too.

1 Timothy 4:14 “Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.”

 2 Timothy 1:6 “Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.”

-You do what you can.
So many people live their lives thinking only of what they could have been or could have done. They live lives of quiet apathy. They know they should be living for the Lord. They know that they should be taking stands for Christ. And yet, they sit idly by and do nothing. When the Philistines began to oppress God's people, there were thousands who did nothing. Yet, there was Shamgar who would not sit idly by and watch God's name be profaned or His people suffer injustice. He could have done what we do so many times. He could have thought of all the cost. He could have thought of the hundred reasons why he should not get involved. Yet, God's honor was at stake and that one reason overshadowed all his objections.

If you desire a life of extra ordinary spiritual success, then learn and live the
Principles of Shamgar.

a. Start right where you are.
I don’t have to make excuses or go somewhere else to be used of God. I can begin to live by these Shamgar principles right here where I am at. God has a place for me, a work for me, and a job for me. I will be faithful. I will understand these are my green pastures and I will work under the authority of my spiritual leaders to do what God has called me to do right here.

b. Use what you have.
I can use my abilities and my gifts to help build this place God has placed me in.

c. I will do what I can.
The life I live, I live at the pleasure of the Lord Himself. Every breath that I breathe belongs to Him. I will not cower before the Philistines of this world. I will not allow the Goliaths of this world to intimidate me. I cannot do everything. Maybe I cannot change anything. Yet, I am not content to not try.

With the enabling of the Spirit of God and by His might, I will do what I can with what I have been given in the place God has put me. With Him by my side all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment