Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The only way to live

How many of us have tried to skip ahead in our lives and figure out what to do months and even years from now instead of embracing each day as God intended. I knew that my book of my life isn't done yet and that I have many pages left to go. Still, that doesn't stop me from trying to write the ending half-way through. Time and again, I foolishly jump ahead and try to solve every conceivable problem before it happens so I could reach that happily ever after ending. Life, however, doesn’t work like that. God loves to surprise us, and you never know what new problem, change, or opportunity each new day will bring. 

God in His loving wisdom often reminds us to relax, slow down and find His love and joy in each day. Recently when I found myself returning to that bad habit of rushing ahead and living in the future again, I remembered His truth about needing to "live one day at a time." When I remembered those words I smiled, turned the book of my life back to the right page, and thanked God for today. 

There is no skipping ahead in the book of life. Each of us has to live it one page and one day at a time. Each of us has to have faith in God to help us to write it line by line and moment by moment. Each of us has to trust that our Heavenly Father will bring our story to its perfect end. We do it by faith in His Word and through the power of the Holy Ghost. That's the only way we can live.

No comments:

Post a Comment