Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Expectations

Philippians 4:11 "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

I know a few things about irrational expectations among people and I know that irrational expectations can cause untold disappointment.

Like the expectation that someone else can make me happy. This is irrational because nobody can make me happy, but myself. That is my job. If I expect others to make me happy or to keep me happy, I know I will be disappointed again and again.

Many people live with the expectation that life should be, for the most part, relatively easy and problem free. This, too, is irrational because bad things happen and living can be difficult. If I expect things to be easy, if I expect not to have problems, if I expect to avoid pain and heartache, I know I will be in for serious disappointment. Problems are here to stay.

I don't mean to paint a picture of life as bleak and miserable because it isn't. In fact, I think it is amazing and  wonderful. It's all the more wonderful when I don't expect too much out of it. I expect problems, but I also expect to find joy. I do not expect others to always please me, but I do expect to be responsible for my own well-being.

So what did you expect? I think if you can answer that question well, you can expect to be much happier and like the Apostle Paul be content in whatever condition you are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment