Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, September 1, 2014

A Different Spirit

The Bible tells us in the Book of Numbers that the Israelites refused to go into the promised land because of all the giants. They were scared of what they saw. The Israelites start singing the same old song: “Oh that we would have died in Egypt! Why did God bring us here to die?" When Joshua and Caleb tell them to have courage because God is for them, the Israelites were ready to stone them. Then the Lord stepped in and said to Moses:

“How long will these people reject Me? And how long will they not believe Me, with all the signs which I have performed among them?" (Numbers 14:11 NKJV)

Israel constantly forget all that the Lord had done for them. It was their lack of faith that cause them to wander in the wilderness for 40 years.

Yet, we are often exactly the same way. How quickly we forget the Lord’s goodness to us and His constant provision and uncountable blessings in our own lives. It’s really sad. But I am grateful that the Lord has an active, pursuing, encompassing love for us. I am thankful he doesn’t wipe us out and start over.

That's why the older I get I want to be like Caleb:

"But My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land where he went, and his descendants shall inherit it." (Numbers 14:24 NKJV)

Caleb had a different spirit. Yes, Lord, help me be more like Caleb. I want a different spirit in me. Give me a spirit of unwavering faith and trust in you that no matter what I see in the natural, no matter how overwhelming the odds look, that you are still in control and there is absolutely nothing that takes you by surprise. Caleb didn't see giants, he saw victory. Caleb didn't see obstacles, he saw stepping stones. Caleb didn't see defeat, he saw conquest.

I want that same different spirit. I want to see God at His highest and most powerful point. I want the mountain and I am determined to climb it in Jesus' Name.

How about you?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment