Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

When People Let You Down

It’s a fact of life.  People will fail us because we are all imperfect in an imperfect world.  Some people don’t mean to let you down, yet other people let people down intentionally.  Whether it’s making a promise they didn’t keep or maybe, it was a promise they never intended to keep, not doing something they said they would do for you, saying something hurtful to you or about you, or not being the person they portrayed themselves to be it happens-people let you down

Sometimes, people “let us down” because we have unrealistic expectations for them so when they don’t “do” or “say” what we expect them to, we get upset about it.  I’ve learned that if people are letting me down because of my expectations for them I need to stop it and let them be who they are and take things one step at a time.  That usually takes care of things on my end.

Sometimes, people let us down intentionally.  These are the people who pretend to be your “friend.”  They act like they are there for you, but they never follow thru. You forgive them, move on and a few weeks later, they make another promise they don’t keep or say something hurtful to you. Does this sound familiar to you?  I’ve had a few of these friends over the last 25 years.  When I sense a pattern like this, I’ve learned not to expect them to do what they said they would do and I consider it a “bonus” if they really do follow through.

I’m big on not looking at surface issues, and trying to find the root cause of these kinds of problems. What I’ve come to realize is that sometimes, people look at who we are today and they wish they were that person, or wish they had your blessings so they become jealous. What I don’t understand is that people don’t think of what you or I had to go through to be where we am today.  I honestly believe that if I hadn’t gone through some of these relationships as a pastor, I would be taking every day for granted and not be appreciative of the true friends that I have. 

When we go through tough times, it’s up to us to become better people because of them.  Do people see my blessings and wish they were in my shoes?  Why is that? Do they want the trials and the hard times that brought me to these blessings and who I am today, or do they just want the blessings?  Life is a growing process for everyone,but a true friend cries with you during your sorrow and rejoices with you when you receive blessings. They don’t get upset because good things happen to you or because you come out of a bad spot in life and even better person. 

Here’s the lesson I’ve learned from all of this in my years as a pastor: Surround yourself with true friends, positive people, and people who want to see you reach your goals. they understand you're not perfect just like they are. They love you on the good days and bad days as well and in spite of everything will stand by your side.

People will let you down in life, but you know what?  I’ve found that no matter what, God doesn’t let us down.  He’s always there for us 24/7, He’s always ready to forgive, and He always wants good things for His children. He will never let us down.

No comments:

Post a Comment