Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Beanies Galore

I have about 8 storage containers filled with Beanie Babies of all kinds that one time belonged to Hannah or Gracie. Looking at both of my granddaughters the other night made me realize how beautiful they are each and every day and how fast they are growing up. We have been truly blessed with both of them. One of my favorite pictures of all time was made in my old office in the UCOG parsonage when Hannah was sitting in my office chair surrounded by two X-Large Beanie Buddy's bigger than she was. What a hoot! I still have those two Bears and I believe Hannah still has one 12 years later.

Each one of these beanies means something to me because they relate to both of my girls. From the time they were born and old enough one or more of those little guys was with them. Whether it was in their crib, their toybox, or their bed, the Beanies made themselves at thome in the Stone household. In fact, Hannah and Gracie both seem to remember most of them even until this day. Every stuffed bear I look at bring back memories of their early years that I can cherish as I grow older.

Fads come and go and most Beanies are virtually worthless now. I saw an ad on Craigslist the other day and someone was selling a whole collection of them for about $ 00.10 per piece. Most Flea Markets are full of the old beanies now at a considerably less amount than what they sold for back in the day. So even though they aren't worth that much dollar wise today, they still are important to me for what they represent. They remind me of my granddaughter's early years. They remind me of simpler times and easier days when my hair was dark and so was my beard. They remind me of the good days when their greatest joy was just hanging out with MeMe and Poppy. Man, those were the days.

I took my grandson fishing late yesterday afternoon and at the age of 4 he reminds me so much of his big sisters. I put back the sunroof on the 4 Runner and drove slowly from the house over to the lake and he did just like they did back in the day. He stood on the console and stuck his head out of the roof like he was the King of the World. All I needed was the Titanic music and I would have been set. There was a time not so long ago that he would go into his sister's room at our house and look in the curio filled with Beanies and find him one that he could hold. I still remember everyone he has touched and/or played with in his lifetime. In fact, some have the teeth marks where he chewed on them (LOL).

If we live and the Lord tarries, Baby Gannon will have his turn one day. He will be the last Stone baby to find out about Beanies around our house. That day will be here sooner than we think because they sure do grow up fast. He will be like his sisters and brother wanting to know if he can take off the tag, wanting it to be his, and pitching a fit if he doesn't get it. And guess what? He will get it out of the curio because we we give it to him to hold and play with just like his siblings. Who would have thought a piece of cloth with pellets sewn in would bring so much joy for so many years?

Yes, there are beanies galore at our house and will probably be so until we pass on. I hope they continue to bring joy to the ones I love as much in the future as they have in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment