Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Sincerity

The Wall Street Journal once printed a little piece titled "Sincerity." It is one of my favorites and reads something like this: 
I wish I were...

-big enough honestly to admit all my shortcomings;

-brilliant enough to accept praise without it making me arrogant;

-tall enough to tower above deceit;

-strong enough to welcome criticism;

-compassionate enough to understand human frailties;

-wise enough to recognize my mistakes;

-humble enough to appreciate greatness;

-staunch enough to stand by my friends;

-human enough to be thoughtful of my neighbor;

-and righteous enough to be devoted to the love of God.

I am really not all that strong. I don't always act with courage. I am certainly not as brilliant as others, as charming or as wise. But today I can be me. And when I lie down tonight, I'll sleep easy knowing it will have been enough.


When I am sincere, there's nothing to hide. I am just me. It's something I can't fake. And if I'm the best me that I can be, then what can I be that is any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment