Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Friday, October 7, 2011

I Am Blessed (Part 5)

None of the blessings I have received from the Lord would be possible if it weren't for my parents. My dad and mom raised my two brothers and myself to honor, respect, and love the Lord with all of our hearts. They are the reason I am the man I am today.

This coming March my dad will have been in heaven for 24 earthly years. Man, I still miss him today. If he had lived he would have been 81 this year. To know my dad was to love him. He loved his wife, his kids, his church, but most of all his Lord. He endured more than his share of sorrows in ministry, but also has reaped the fruits of his labor. He gave 38 years of service to God and to the Church of God. He may never have pastored huge churches, but he sure was a spiritual giant to me.

My mom is still fighting the fight of faith. She's 77 now and a little slower than she used to be. She has gone through several health problems over the past few years, but she keeps pressing on. The thing I can say about her is that she is a warrior of the faith and has not given up the battle. She too bears the scars of ministry, but the seed she invested in my brothers and I lives on in our ministry. She's still a prayer warrior and knows how to get ahold of God in the time of need and we love her for that.

We didn't have a lot growing up, but we always had enough. They both sacrificed many times to help us to go forward with our lives and for that I consider myself extremely blessed.

One day I'll see my pop again and can tell him how much I missed him, but until then I'll try to help mom as much as I can. It's the least I can do to honor the ones who gave so much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment