Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, September 12, 2011

I Pray For The Opportunity

Our 911 Memorial service went very well along with showing the film last night of "The Cross and The Towers". I just hope that people will continue to remember and cherish that sense of community and togetherness that a day like yesterday continues to present.

None of us know what the future holds for any of us. Only God has the master plan. Hopefully none of us will have to go through a 911 expereince again in our lifetime.

But let's talk about that for a moment. What do you think God has in store for you next? Do you think that life as you know it is going to change drastically or continue to be the same? Guess what, I am praying for an opportunity to see God do something out of the ordinary in my life.

I have heard people preach and talk about tarrying in prayer. I know that the Bible speaks of being in a sense of prayer on a continual basis. Yet in it's simplest form prayer is just having a conversation with our Creator, our Savior, and our best friend. I can talk with Him any time and in any place with the expectation or knowing an answer is on the way.

So there are some things that I am talking to the Father about this week that I really want the opportunity to see. Maybe these are things that you are praying about as well. I want to pray and see:

(1) An old fashioned move of the Holy Ghost like I saw when I was growing up. There may have been some wildfire in the worship, but at least their was some fire.

(2) People have a hunger for God and church once again. I am on the verge of having to make some decisions about services other than Sunday morning because people don't come to church. I told someone the other day that I have never seen a day when people only hunger for God on Sunday morning. Wednesday night and Sunday night are either optional or obsolete. I sometimes feel that no matter how much I pray or promote any event or service, I'm just barking up a dead tree. How I long to see the hunger restored in the church like it once was.

(3) People who want to have church. Not complainers, whiners, fault-finders, gripers, uncaring, or stuckup, but people that come together for one purpose-and that is to praise the Lord and bring Him glory.

(4) A church that doesn't care how you have church or come dressed to church-just that you are there. Someone asked me are we contemporary or traditional. I usually reply we are both, because God isn't in the specialty movement. We are to be all things to all people according to the Word. That means that no matter what style we use we use it with one purpose-to worship and lift up Jesus.

Dear Lord:

Please give me the chance to pastor a group that isn't bound by vain tradition of men or their own limitations, but have a heart for God. That is my prayer today.

I only ask for the opportunity.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment