Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Almost A Year

Becky and I received the word that we would be leaving Union and coming back to Greenville to pastor one year ago this weekend. I was 43 years old when we moved to Union and enjoyed 13 years of ministry there. I felt that God was through with us and was looking forward to our new post of ministry at DCOG. However I found out that 13 years in one place makes a difference when you are finally making a transition. I am writing this for the benefit of someone who may be trying to find the Lord's Will about a move in hopes that it will prepare them for the adventure ahead, especially if you have been a long term pastor.

-First, I found out that 13 years makes a difference in a lot of ways. It was a lot easier to adapt to a new environment and new people when I was 43 than it was when I was 56. You've heard that old saying that "people are people everywhere"-well, in some respects that is true. However, trying to learn names, faces, places, and the quirks of a new congregation is a lot harder when you're older than when you are younger. The main problem that I inherited at DCOG is that several people only come on Sunday morning and it's hard to get acquainted with folks that you only see one time a week.

-Second, some churches accept change well and others don't. I've never had a problem adapting to a church situation because I was raised to do so and accept what the Bible says to be content in whatever state of mind or environment I'm in. DCOG has accepted my implemented changes slowly but surely and more will be coming. When people understand the changes are not about ego or self, but are about what helps the church to do the work of God better and more efficiently it's easier to make the needed transitions.

-Third, no matter where you are you will not please everybody. I had complainers in Union just like I do at DCOG. Man, if people would work for God as much and as hard as they find something to complain about, we could turn the world upside down for Jesus. But I will never see that happen in my lifetime unless the younger generation refuses to be set in their ways like their elders. My biggest problems in the last 3 years have come from those who are not regular in church attendance. I do not count as regular those who just come on Sunday morning unless their work keeps them out of church. They usually are the people that complain the most. Yet, most of their complaints could be solved if they would just be in church like they agreed to be when they joined the church!

-Fourth, there are good people in every church. For every complainer I have 2 good people who love God, love their pastor, and want to see the church go forward. Most pastors find when they make a move that they don't escape from problems-they just change faces. However, their are some folks that you automatically fall in love with because you see they share the same vision and compassion for souls that you have. I found that at UCOG and I've found that at DCOG as well.

Valentine's Weekend 2010 we said good-bye to UCOG. The next Sunday we started here at DCOG. It has been a wild year filled with a lot of ups and downs, but I can honestly say I still believe God sent Becky and I here to pastor. Have I done the best job I could this past year? I think so. Could I have done more? Probably, but can't we all say that?

I miss my friends of 13 years and the closeness that we had. We were a part of many families during our time at UCOG and we miss many of them. Yet God has given us a new family and we have fallen in love with so many of them it will be hard to say good-bye when God is finished with us here.

That's why I'm convinced in my spirit that God knows much more than me and I am trusting Him to reveal His next step in my life. It's been almost a year, and I know I'm where He wants me to be. But I will never shut the door on God or what He has planned for my future. I advise you to do the same.

1 comment: