Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, July 23, 2018

The Next Moses (Part 3)

The Next Moses (Part 3)


Exodus 3:10-4:20


Have you argued with God about some issue or circumstance in your life? Moses’ first step in his journey of discipleship is to do exactly this. He argues with the God! He becomes defensive in this supernatural calling he has received. Moses is convinced he cannot respond. He plays the game of “Yes, but” with God. Any time we feel called or compelled to do something we would rather not do, we are tempted to say, “Yes, but”, to the person making the request. Moses plays the “Yes, but” game with God for the next segment of our story. He “Yes, buts” God at least five times.


-First, Moses asks a simple question in 3:11 : 


“But who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” 


Moses was about eighty years old when the call of God came. This is hardly the time when we think of a whole new vocation in our lives! God simply says, “I will be with you, Moses.” God does not acknowledge Moses’ argument. Neither does God acknowledge Moses’ age or stage in life. God simply calls. 


-His second argument is he asks God for God’s name.


The name of God was closely intertwined with the nature of God in the ancient mind. Thus, the writer of Psalm 23 says, “He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake. Moses was actually asking how he could offer the definitive nature of their God to the Israelites. “If I go, and they ask me about you, what shall I say?” seems to be Moses’ question. The response of the voice from the bush is one of the most mysterious in all of scripture. God says, “I am who I am.” Therefore, Moses is to tell the people that “I am” has sent him. We are not able to probe the mystery of God’s nature. God preserves God’s mystery for all time.  Perhaps God is offering a “name” that is only finally completed in the person of Jesus. 

-Moses raises a third argument in 4:1:

 “But suppose they do not believe me or listen to me, but say, ‘The LORD did not appear to you.’ ” 

Moses is saying, “What if I go to preach and nobody listens or even cares?” This is one fear of every preacher: “What if the people do not listen? What if they do not come? What if my words make no contact and no difference at all?” God replies convincingly: “Moses, I will create signs and wonders before you. I will make the fruits of your ministry happen. I will make things happen in your wake.” That’s quite a promise.

-Moses fourth “Yes, but” at God Moses trembles at the thought of what might be unavoidable. He says in Verse 10:

 "O my Lord, I have never been eloquent. . . . I am slow of speech and slow of tongue." 

Moses pleads a new tact: “I mumble a lot, Lord. I can’t think fast on my feet. And I don’t always use good grammar.” God’s response to Moses’ self-imposed ineptness is wonderful: “I will be with your mouth” in Verse 12. We remember the promises to the disciples of the New Testament where they are told by Jesus that they will receive the words to speak when they stand before power and before enemies.

-The fifth “Yes, but” tries the patience of God. Moses says, “O my Lord, please send someone else” in Verse 13. Here is a last desperate plea to avoid the interruption of a very pleasant existence. Verse 14 says, “Then the anger of the LORD was kindled against Moses.”  
God is frustrated by all of Moses’ excuses and ours! In the end, God tells Moses that Aaron will be called to be alongside of Moses. Moses will give Aaron the words of God to speak, and God will be with both of their mouths. In essence God says, “No more objections, Moses. Now go!” Moses went in faith. Someone has said that faith is most simply “waiting for the rest of the story to unfold.”
You may be called. You may even have a theophany! God may interrupt your life either briefly, or for the long haul. You may “Yes, but” God a few times yourself. However, in the end, you will find yourself saying, “OK, Lord! Here I am. I have heard your call. I think I know your name and your nature. Here I am, Lord. Lead me to where the hurt is. Help me set your people free. And I will go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment