Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, April 10, 2017

We Will Not Be Defeated (Part 5)

Our safety is from the Lord!

Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe."

Psalm 91:1-4 "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler."

Safety is an important ingredient in every phase of our physical lives. It applies to every individual in their profession or leisure time as well. If it's unsafe it can't be insured, licensed, permitted, qualified, or produced. There is no money back guarantee or buy back policy. Even though sometimes we get stuck with a lemon, it's better to be safe than to be sorry.

Some Christians want to feel the edge of that safety zone. They want to see how close they can get to the fire without being burned. They want to test the limits of the Word when it comes to simple elements of life.

However, God is not a daredevil nor works on a whim. We don't live on a dare, or walk by a dare, but by the Spirit of the living God. He is my safety net when I fall. He is my river of life when I'm thirsty. He does cover me with His shadow and as long as I abide there I'm protected. Storms will come, pestilence will rage, and falsehoods will arise, but in Him I am safe. The fowler's snares cannot trap me because He is my shield and buckler.

What's a buckler? The dictionary gives us three definitions:

-A small round shield held by a handle at arm's length.

-A shield worn on the left arm.

-One that shields and protects.

David said the Lord is my shield, my protector, or my buckler. He reaches farther down than we can reach up, He builds higher walls around us than we could construct, and he never leaves or forsakes us. He is our protector and defender. There is ultimate safety in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment