Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Friday, December 2, 2016

Count Your Blessings Not Your Troubles

"Count your blessings, not your troubles."

When I heard my doctor say the reason I had a stroke was because of stress I kind of freaked out. All my life I've heard the saying, "I am too blessed to be stressed", never thinking I would become a culprit to that trauma. After much contemplation I now realize that this saying was one that I should have kept posted on my desk as a pastor to remind me of all the blessings I have in my life.

At times we all tend to focus on the negative aspects of our lives and we forget the blessings that we all have. When we change our attitude to one of counting our blessings we experience less stress. One of the things I'm still learning is to appreciate my blessings even after my stroke and reverse the negative thoughts that come into my mind. I try to think about things that bring my blessings to the forefront. I realize I have limitations now, but those limitations cannot stop me from praising God for my blessings.

Let us say that you are going for an interview for a new job and start to feel that you are not worthy of the job that you have applied for. Turn that thought around by saying to yourself that you are blessed to have the opportunity to go for an interview in a land that allows freedom of choice to work and live where you want. Stress cannot live in that environment.

Assume that you are asked to speak at a gathering of your peers at a conference or seminar. You get stressed out with thoughts of stumbling words, shaking hands, and forgetting vital information even though you have prepared your remarks and rehearsed them several times. Turn this situation around by repeating a blessing that you possess and recognize that you are blessed because you are able to speak whereas many people have no speech capabilities. Recognize and say to yourself that you are blessed to enjoy the company of friends and colleagues where hundreds of people would give anything to be in your place.


When you practice counting your blessings, you will be amazed at how many there are. As you are riding in your car, walking through your neighborhood, or shopping for groceries, there are countless blessings that are in full view for you to recognize and acknowledge.

So the next time you are feeling stressed remember this saying. Don't let stress ruin your day, focus your thoughts and energy on the good things in your life. Always remember that you have many blessings in your life! 





No comments:

Post a Comment